• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Woes! :(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be blessed. Except for an Italian cap rifle I got 50 years ago, I have yet to come across any poor workmanship on any cap/flint guns since. This includes TVM and 4 other builders.

That ramrod hole off center shouldn’t be the end of the world to fix. Glue a maple dowel in it and then redrill a hole at the correct angle with a forstner bit. They won’t drift or follow the grain if used correctly. Now whether a high dollar kit should come with that issue is between the seller and buyer. Simply stating how I’d deal with it.

If the ramrod hole is drilled off center from milling inside the stock, would it be possible to glue in a strip of wood that one might have to hand file a half moon cut out in to correct the off center milling cut?

Gus

It would be hard to fabricate such a thin piece of wood without breaking it I would think..

Could it be possible too use a short section of copper line inside the ram rod bore too center it, then cover the copper line with the rear entry thimble....

IDK , just thinking out loud....

I bet TVM would have made the stock right if it got sent out off center.

I can’t wait for the results from Smokey Plainsman.....

Last edited:
It would be hard to fabricate such a thin piece of wood without breaking it I would think..

Well, I guess I was too succinct in my earlier answer. I would cut the wood to the correct length and width, but leave it extra tall to cut the half moon groove in it, so it wouldn't break. Then use a fine blade in a table saw to rip it to the correct height. I would also use a wrap of tape and mold release on the ramrod to position it for gluing.

Gus

Hey Everyone, I can definitely understand when one spends big $$$ they want what they are getting to be perfect.
I like some, cannot afford to make such a purchase and I stick to refurbing rifles like the old T/C,s
Did an old hawken on a Pecatonica stock and it for the most part came out ok.
Not even close to some of the work I have seen here but, purely function over beauty.
To me it is a tool that will be dragged around the woods and most certainly will show such use.
I am into getting a decent sized Buck rather than sweating potential stock dings and wear.
I am sure our Ancestors did not sweat the small stuff so much other than making sure what they had worked and worked consistently. After all their very life depended on it.
JMHO

SM

Nearly 200 comments and NONE from TVM unless I missed it ? People make mistakes. Good companies make it right when that happens. Great companies follow these forums and make adjustments to how they do things if they see they have unhappy customers. That's all I have to add...

man its amazing! I love all ya'll, but please read even slower. I, was, not, the, one, working, on, the, wood, my, friend was. I, did, not see, it, until, he, was, half, way done. I done all the metal.

anyway what is done is done. all I can tell you is from the look of the lopsided entry hole whoever drilled it did not inspect it before it left. it don't even line up right with the ramrod groove.or was either drinking, blind, or did not know what they were doing. anyway I wish I had called them, they probably would have done something, they seemed like nice folks,,,,,,,,,,
Now it's your turn to read even slower. You seem to take offense at the inspection process. The point is that if the drilled ramrod hole eluded your own personal inspection (which is not hard), it would have been easy to miss by the manufacturer. No malice intended.

Now it's your turn to read even slower. You seem to take offense at the inspection process. The point is that if the drilled ramrod hole eluded your own personal inspection (which is not hard), it would have been easy to miss by the manufacturer. No malice intended.

no you read, slower, please, I, did, not, inspect, IT! my friend worked on the wood NOT ME! this horse has been beat to death! I do not in any way take offence, but it just amazes me how thick a persons head can be. I do not care anymore, it is over, I am through talking about it. if you want to talk about it please don't include me, talk to yourself,,,,,,,,,,,

Nearly 200 comments and NONE from TVM unless I missed it ? People make mistakes. Good companies make it right when that happens. Great companies follow these forums and make adjustments to how they do things if they see they have unhappy customers. That's all I have to add...
Oh they are following this thread, they are members here. Only seen once in 12 years or so where a vendor defended themselves on here. No real reason for them to defend themselves as they did make a boo boo. I believe they are attempting to make it right.

We hit 200+ yet?

I’d be ticked.
I bought used before, didn’t do a full go over inspection and found flaws. But that was on me. Brand new, different story.
Manufacturer should step up.
Now just recently. A friend bought an older Excalibur xbow(Equinox) thats been outta production for a few yrs. scope broke. I told friend to send it back to Excalibur.
Yesterday’s mail had a brand new scope from Excalibur.
You gotta appreciate that kind of warranty.
I hope the same goes for TVM. I ain’t never heard of TVM until I watched Dualist1954 and Leatherwood Outdoors on YouTube awhile back. Nice nice rifles. So ya. I’d be ticked.
I hope all works out for ya :):thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back