• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TVM vs Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to keep in mind, is that a Kibler will teach you what "good" and "right" is. I've been around this stuff a long time and the VAST majority of people don't grasp this very well. Also, you won't have a bunch of problems from the manufacturer to fix. Something that is all too common.
True, however "good" and "right" is also very subjective. Good and right from a historical perspective, yes, I agree with you. However, each person's idea of good and right is different. One guy might get caught up in being 100 percent historically correct, and the next guy might be more concerned with a functional firearm that although not exacting in its history.

Sir, I am not knocking your product. Please don't take things that way. I'm merely pointing out that other kits are going to teach the builder more than yours will. Again, for the person who prefers the company do most of the work for them, your kits I'm sure can't be beat. However, many builders want more of a challenge, and or they're more concerned with producing a functioning representation of a bygone Era, without as much regard to exacting correctness.

If a guy want to learn how to build guns by all means build from a plank. Understand if you do not know where you are headed the end result will be wanting. It does not matter how perfectly you inlet or shape the metal parts.

Jim's kits are excellent training wheels for the beginner. They are also a great way for an experienced gunmaker to have an excellent blank canvas to embellish without spending 100 hours to get to the starting point. .

Last edited:
If a guy want to learn how to build guns by all means build from a plank. Understand if you do not know where you are headed the end result will be wanting. It does not matter how perfectly you inlet or shape the metal parts.

Jim's kits are excellent training wheels for the beginner. They are also a great way for an experienced gunmaker to have an excellent blank canvas to embellish without spending 100 hours to get to the starting point. .
I disagree with the blank canvas part. It's not a blank canvas at all, but a painting with only one more tree to add (Ala Bob Ross).

I am not an experienced builder having completed only 4 kit guns. I cannot compare the Kibler to TVM.

However, I can say I have just finished a Kibler SMR (photos elsewhere). I liked working on it and did not have anything go wrong. Kibler now has a drill guide for putting in the pin holes in the barrel lugs, thimbles and trigger guard. it is included with each kit. You still have to put work into it, but you put the work in and you get a great gun in return.

I'm considering ordering a kit for a Colonial America era flintlock. I think, based on all I have read and videos I have watched, that I'll get one of Kibler's Colonial America Longrifle kits.

I spoke to Jim Kibler on the phone yesterday and he is one heck of a nice guy and he will talk to you about your questions as long as needed. He isn't a "rusher" like a lot of company owners.

He made a video showing him assembling a Southern Mountain Rifle kit - Here is the video -

Back in the late 60's I wanted a flintlock rifle but could not afford one so I looked at some of the kits available at the time. I loved the Golden Age Arms kits but they were out of my price range. I ended up with a Dixie Guns Works kit. I learned a LOT of what a kit should not be as I had to adjust, modify, patch almost everything on the rifle. All my next rifles were all made from planks. My point is this - if you are looking for the VERY BEST rifle kit on the market today that will give you much pleasure to assemble AND shoot without any fuss buy a Kimber Kit. My second choice in a kit would come from Jim Chambers. If you want to get frustrated in fitting parts and modifying parts/wood to "make it fit" then go for one of the other kits. When you are finished with assembling your Kimber Kit you will have something that resembles a very accurate looking rifle of the time period AND will function 99.95% of the time your first time shooting it. My two cents worth :thumb: :ghostly::ThankYou:

I disagree with the blank canvas part. It's not a blank canvas at all, but a painting with only one more tree to add (Ala Bob Ross).
Apparently you have never attempted to paint a landscape. You don't just "add" a tree; it like the muzzleloader must be planned in advance.
I own a .58 cal. Kibler kit and I have delayed finishing it precisely because I have changed the side plate and have planned on a version of my interpretation of Christian Springs style of carving. Planning can cause panic; however.

If you want to learn something as to building a LR, the TVM among many parts sets will do this. The Kibler, although it will show how a LR, both the Colonial and SMR should look, it doesn't require a whole lot of skill to complete...but you do end up w/ an excellent LR. .....Fred
The Kiblers are computer cut, CNC machined, so the parts and assembly are very precise. Easier to assemble for new builders.

Back in the late 60's I wanted a flintlock rifle but could not afford one so I looked at some of the kits available at the time. I loved the Golden Age Arms kits but they were out of my price range. I ended up with a Dixie Guns Works kit. I learned a LOT of what a kit should not be as I had to adjust, modify, patch almost everything on the rifle. All my next rifles were all made from planks. My point is this - if you are looking for the VERY BEST rifle kit on the market today that will give you much pleasure to assemble AND shoot without any fuss buy a Kimber Kit. My second choice in a kit would come from Jim Chambers. If you want to get frustrated in fitting parts and modifying parts/wood to "make it fit" then go for one of the other kits. When you are finished with assembling your Kimber Kit you will have something that resembles a very accurate looking rifle of the time period AND will function 99.95% of the time your first time shooting it. My two cents worth :thumb: :ghostly::ThankYou:
I've been looking for Mr. Kibler to do a Pistol Kit!

If your goal is to build a rifle from a kit there are plenty out there, some good some just okay. Some look like authentic muzzleloaders, some not so much. But if you want an authentic looking good shooting, well thought out and nicely put together rifle then you should look no further than Mr Kiblers. That’s my thought and that’s why I placed an order for one. I’ll be sending in the lock payment tomorrow and will be waiting for the kit to ship in about a month.

One thing to keep in mind, is that a Kibler will teach you what "good" and "right" is. I've been around this stuff a long time and the VAST majority of people don't grasp this very well. Also, you won't have a bunch of problems from the manufacturer to fix. Something that is all too common.
You said a mouth full there.. right on. and I'm loving all 3 of my guns from you...at a price for all 3 that a gunsmith quoted for one. and one kit is about half the price of a gun I had a friend build with me supplying all the parts. My very first gun was a CVA kit (much like the TVM guns) I had put together. Then I shot a real muzzleloader.....I do still have that gun, now converted to flintlock as well as another. with two $100 Thompson Center guns I use these to teach new people how to shoot. (learned on the first dropped gun not to use my good ones at first)

I appreciate shooting fine firearms and specifically flintlocks. I have zero compulsion to become a gunsmith or gun builder. I would rather spend my time actually shooting, or doing leather or quillworking.

Back