• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TVM Tennessee Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one I know of "builds" a rifle. They take parts from well known makers of locks and barrels and assemble them.

With TVM, you get a choice of who makes the locks and who makes the barrel. Otherwise, it's assembling parts.

I've got one TVM flintlock and I think it's fine. Others may disagree, but buying assembled parts from off-site sources I believe dates back to the 1700s when the locks were made in England (some) and I don't know who made the barrels.

Just IMO. I've got another on order and have no expectations that it should be PC and quite frankly don't care. Not a buckskinner. I want something that works and for me a Siler lock works just fine.

Forever in blue jeans.

The part that comes into play besides buying good parts is the wood work. The shaping, carving (relief or incise), and inletting and fitting of the barrel and parts all play a major role in a gun "build". The shaping is a huge difference.

Production guns like the Traditions and Pedersoli are CNC carved and are typically thin and slab-sided. My Traditions PA longrifle has what I call a "slab-sided" forearm. The forearm is very tall. The overall look is chunky. My Early Lancaster built by a previous member of the forum (tg) is very slender and graceful and even though it has a barrel almost 4" longer than the Traditions, it weighs two pounds less than the Traditions rifle. And yes it has a swamped barrel versus the straight octagon of the Traditions barrel.

Another thing you will see on a rifle that is built for you is a forearm that curves nicely into the stock. On the production guns like my Traditions it curves up to a shelf that is about 1/8" wide from the barrel to the curve of the wood. And, that shelf runs the entire length of the barrel. Another pet-peeve I have for production guns is they are thin and tall at the wrist. That's not how those guns were made. They were wider than they were tall at the wrist because it was stronger and they weren't worried about getting the maximum number of stock blanks out of a chunk of wood.

Back in the 18th century, almost all the locks you got were imported, primarily from the UK before the war. It was actually illegal to build a lock. Some barrels were imported but most of the barrels were hammer-weld forged by the gunsmith in the colonies. Smoothbore barrels were mostly imported. So no worries about building from parts.

My Early Lancaster was built from parts except for the stock. And it is a beautiful and extremely reliable rifle because the builder put it together and carved the stock with a very high level of skill. Remember, these are not snap in parts! You can give $800 worth of parts to one builder and end up with a $500 rifle. Give the same parts to another builder and end up with a $3000 to $4000 rifle.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

FWIW, TVM guns are build from boards and not precarves, if that's important to you. They also get their parts from the same sources most other builders do. They are NOT cookie cutter guns. I have two late Lancaster rifles from TVM and the architecture is noticeably different between the two. I don't know where this "assemblers" moniker came from. Matt builds guns the same way as many other well known builders. I know of a few "builders" who use pre-carved stocks and commonly available parts whose work is lauded. Why not TVM along with Tip Curtis, etc?

hanshi said:
Why not TVM along with Tip Curtis, etc?

Speaking for myself... Tip Curtis puts out a great rifle that does what it is supposed to do. I haven't had the opportunity to really delve into his customer service, because I've had nary a problem with his rifles. I have bought three, sight unseen, and they were all better than described. They function just as well.

My TVM experience was not so. And not for a lack of trying on my behalf.

SG, what issues did you have? I don't want to start a bashing party, I'm just interested because I'm very interested in their rifles. Thanks

silly goose said:
hanshi said:
Why not TVM along with Tip Curtis, etc?

Speaking for myself... Tip Curtis puts out a great rifle that does what it is supposed to do. I haven't had the opportunity to really delve into his customer service, because I've had nary a problem with his rifles. I have bought three, sight unseen, and they were all better than described. They function just as well.

My TVM experience was not so. And not for a lack of trying on my behalf.

Bad experiences can come from any source. I had a bad experience with a JIM CHAMBERS flintlock! Did I bash? No. Did I remind myself to never get another one? No. Tip Curtis has his own critics but it doesn't lessen my opinion of his work.

TVM is a lightening rod for criticism for reasons I can only speculate. Matt does great work for very reasonable prices and, like the old time builders, is not a one man operation. Some people do make a bad choice and want to blame the builder. I don't mean that this applies to you, Goose; I'm quite aware of your knowledge and experience and respect it. What I am saying is that a few OTHER excellent builders are annoyed at TVM's success and reputation. TVM has a 8 to 12 month backlog of orders. So a few less than delightful experiences might be expected. I have a rifle from a fine builder who is highly respected for his work and knowledge. He stopped building just a few years ago because of a few customers griping when he built them exactly what they asked for. I own a couple of one-of-a-kind guns from TVM so they are truly "custom" guns. It appears, however, that the builder mentioned above will start back making guns within the year.

Please don't refer to me as a TVM spokesman or some-such name calling because I most certainly am not! I've sent back, over the years, a bit of TVMs work and was delighted with their customer service. I own other makes, for sure, and like them all.

I think it's become fashionable to criticize them and a couple of other fine builders. Don't know who/how it got started and I think it's sad that others have joined the pack. Your opinion is just as valid as mine but I'll stand by my recommendation. :wink: :idunno: :v

I have been in Tips shop to buy parts never bought a rifle from him but have looked a some and they are top notch i could find no flaws,i am not a expert but they look great to me,i would not hesitate to buy from him. He actually sold me a new barrel one time and a very low price and it shoots great.

Old thread resurrected so....

I have a TN styled .32 SMR. It has a Rice swamped barrel and a Chambers late Ketland flint lock. I like it. But I do think Jim Kibler should be added along with Tippy.

Met Tip at Freindship and looked at his wares. Individual parts, “in the white” and finished. Looks good to me. I handled one of the Kibler rifles last spring. Owner bought it “in the white” just browned, stained and finished it himself. Said inletting was done very well. I liked it and if shopping for another would certainly consider a Kibler. Don’t know if Jim offers a finished product. Understand a Tennessee style is now available.

Seems TVM guns are largely despised here, with many preferring Tippys.

I should have read the replies before shelling out for the $200 non refundable installment for one... didn’t realize the TVMs were so poorly thought of. Thinking about cutting my loses and just cancelling my order with TVM and going with Tip Curtis as apparantly his rifles are flawless and without peer.

I went TVM unfortunately. By all reports, I should have went with Tip Curtis. Oh well, live and learn.

I don't think your choice was unfortunate, Smokey. TVM makes fine rifles; they're just a bit "generic". I don't know if Tip's rifles are any more authentic than TVM's but they would be just as nice. Jim Kibler kits are absolutely authentic; in fact, I would love to have one.

I have a TVM Early Virginia (flintlock) and love the rifle. I have a few guns I could grab when I head for the range but my TVM is pretty much all I want to take with me to shoot. I also have a Pedersoli "kentucky" rifle (percussion), my first black powder gun. I like my Pedersoli and its a very accurate shooter, but the TVM is by far the better rifle and I would definitely buy another from them. They also are great to work with and seem like very good people. They were happy to answer questions I had during the ordering/purchase process and have been more than kind answering the few questions I've had over the last couple of years. Can't say enough good things.

Seems TVM guns are largely despised here, with many preferring Tippys.

I should have read the replies before shelling out for the $200 non refundable installment for one... didn’t realize the TVMs were so poorly thought of. Thinking about cutting my loses and just cancelling my order with TVM and going with Tip Curtis as apparantly his rifles are flawless and without peer.

Lets put it this way..... You put your bucks down on a TVM rifle... is it an exact HC replica of a particular builder …….. Nope.... is it a representative of a particular style..... yep. If you wanted HC then you would have gone to a one man shop custom builder and spent at least another $2000.00+ bucks for the gun. Go with what ya ordered and see how ya like it. I would strongly think most of your shootin buddies will not know the difference and be impressed.

I am not sure their guns are poorly thought of or that Tip's guns are that much better.....

I don't think Tip's guns out weigh TVM's. Fact is they are pretty close. Quality parts is quality parts..... and having seen several of TVM's stuff, its good to go.

I am in no way related to Tennessee Valle Muzzle Loading.

Just some thoughts......

Last edited:
Everyone on here does not dislike TVM guns. I am well pleased with my Early Virginia.
Tvm-pic.jpg TVM-pic2.jpg

Attachments

• TVM-Pic3.jpg
    TVM-Pic3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 83
Thanks gang... I kind of overreacted, maybe. I’m not into the “schools” or anything like that, and am a shooter first and foremost. I don’t reenact and don’t plan to. Hoping my rifle is alright. Live and learn I guess. I can always sell it if I need to.

Years ago they used to have a rifle named the grand. 1000bucks. It was a decent gun for the money. I thought about buying a in the white gun from them or a complete rifle i looked at a few they had listed for sale last week on facebook. I enlarged the pics and on one of the guns it had a simple patch box. I seen a gouge around the patch box. To much of gaps around the lock. Small gap on butt plate fitted to the top of the stock. Just not tight fitted . The gun was 2000bucks i liked the design of the gun but i would have sent it back. 2grand is a lot of money for me. Seen what i seen as poor lock fitting on anothet they had for sale.. I know there a company thats been around a while. Just dont know if i could buy without looking in person.

Back