• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TVM style muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrell5678

32 Cal
Reaction score
I really really like the look of the Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders- especially the Late Lancaster. For a lefty like me, it seems that the only option for getting those really long barreled muzzleloaders is TVM. They still have 15 MONTH wait to build, just like they did a year ago. I reached out to my local gunsmith, and he's not comfortable building muzzleloaders from a kit.

Are there any other options for purchasing a rifle like this, other than TVM?
1660957992907.png

The inflation discussion is always interesting. Olde timer here recalls when the cost per shot for a ml rifle was almost too small to calculate. The first black powder I ever bought was in a cardboard canister for $4.95. I later opened my own ml shop. I may still have a tin of caps with a 79 cent price tag on it.

I recall buying black locally (Dupont at the time) for $110 a can. And oh yes, caps were dirt cheap (for today). I shot my .45 for about 2 cents a shot. Or about the same as .22LR. Shorts were 55 cents a box locally and long rifle was less than a buck a box of 50.

I really really like the look of the Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders- especially the Late Lancaster. For a lefty like me, it seems that the only option for getting those really long barreled muzzleloaders is TVM. They still have 15 MONTH wait to build, just like they did a year ago. I reached out to my local gunsmith, and he's not comfortable building muzzleloaders from a kit.

Are there any other options for purchasing a rifle like this, other than TVM?View attachment 156899
I have a local gun builder in my area…that Lancaster style is his favorite style muzzleloader to build. He is quite the artist. He built a .54 calibre, back in February, for my dad…once I get an image…I’ll post it for you to see. He just finished building a little .40 calibre, of the same styling, for himself…that he used at the Colorado State Muzzleloaders Shoot; in a 50 point match he shot 50 3X. The guy that won shot 50 4X…

He built my Early Plains Rifle...Beautiful gun.

D2408479-3780-4CDB-83AA-E9CEB9717F21.jpeg

Last edited:
I've ordered two guns from TVM. A .36 flint Southern Mountain and a .32 caplock Tennessee. My wait time was roughly a year on each. I also bought a flint .50 Leman at auction that is mint. Personally, if I had it to do again, I'd consider a custom maker. The guns all function fine but I don't think much of the stock shaping.

Last edited:
I placed an order through TVM and they told me that the wait time was roughly 10 months. That would have been last December, and I still don’t have it yet. I ordered one 4 years ago and sure to their word I got it in 10 months. I hope everything is ok with it because every time I email about it, they push back the date another couple months. If it’s anything like the first one, then the wait is worth it but they must really be behind. Or something.

I have several times and they just say I’m coming up in the lineup. They finally said mine went into production. I replied great, and paid the rest of the balance due. I asked how long it would beans they replied 2-3 weeks. I’m about to email again because it’s been over a month since. Hopefully this is the last little stretch. I’ve done business with them before and they’re very reputable company. Just seems like they’re really backed up. I’ll post pictures once she arrives.👍🏼

Are there any other options for purchasing a rifle like this, other than TVM?View attachment 156899
There's a lot of love hate for TVM. My personal experience with them was fantastic. My second flintlock was a fowler from them and it was absolutely fantastic. Really a beautiful gun with wood above what I think was assumed from what I chose. Great people. I ended up selling the fowler to a friend because I am obsessed with precise (as much as is possible) historical accuracy. I certainly didn't sell it because of any want in quality or performance from the gun. Like I said people have tons of opinions about the company but for my single experience, I was very pleased. For a semi-custom gun it is a fine option and they actually have a lot more extra options than people think. I went on their website a few weeks ago for yucks for the first time in probably 2 years and was impressed by some of the extra work they have started doing. I would say however that I am a lefty that shoots exclusively right handed guns. It doesn't affect lefties at all. For a reverse example my righty brother shot my lefty rifle maybe 200 times and couldn't remotely tell the difference once I switched to righty guns. I shoot lefty still and it isn't even a slight hinderance to have right handed locks. You miss out on a lot of fine flintlocks if you limit yourself to lefty. There is nothing wrong with either option of course! I just wanted to point out my experience in this exact arena.

Last edited:
I ordered a Late Lancaster from them several years ago, made it exactly as I asked and got it in about 6 months. After shooting it for a while there was an issue with the stock right behind the lock. I contacted them and they said send it back. About a week later I got an email and they said there was definitly a problem with the stock and they would build me a new one. I actually asked if I could make a couple changes and they were good with it. It was a great rifle and I had it for several years, it got to be where I just didn't care for flintlocks much so I ended up selling it. It wasn't the gun because I had a custom .40cal Southern Mountain Rifle also in flint that I ended up selling. They were great to work with, I think the lady I spoke with most of the time was Melanie, she was always very helpful.

I like my Southern, it’s not really what I was expecting though. In my case I think I was expecting something that you would get from a custom builder or a personal build. She shoot’s though and she fits very nicely in my historical time period. Once I’m done with my day job I’m going to give one of those kits a go and see what happens.

RM

My experience with TVM has been like Snakebite's. After ordering my third TVM (a poorboy late Lancaster, 50 caliber, left hand flint) I dropped it from a tree stand. Snap through the wrist. After crying, I called TVM. They told me to send it back and they would re-stock it. They upgraded the wood and added a couple of small changes in the re-build. Turnaround time was surprisingly fast. One issue: the drop at comb and heel had changed to where I could not see the front sight. I called and got an immediate: SEND IT BACK! They sent a UPS Label, prepaid, and I had it back in perfect condition--completely re-stocked-- a few weeks later.

Lesson one: if you have an issue, call them and they will make it right.

This level of service is what I have come to expect from Matt, Melanie, and whoever else answers the phone. They have always stood behind their work and been very responsive to my occasional "out of the box" requests. Remember that this is a small family company. Treat them well and they will treat you well.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
I placed an order through TVM and they told me that the wait time was roughly 10 months. That would have been last December, and I still don’t have it yet. I ordered one 4 years ago and sure to their word I got it in 10 months. I hope everything is ok with it because every time I email about it, they push back the date another couple months. If it’s anything like the first one, then the wait is worth it but they must really be behind. Or something.
A few months back I was going to order a rifle from them. Informed it would be 18 month before they could start building the gun. Told them to forget it.... with cancer I might not be around to shoot it. Still think they are an outstanding company. I already have one of their great rifles.

I have several times and they just say I’m coming up in the lineup. They finally said mine went into production. I replied great, and paid the rest of the balance due. I asked how long it would beans they replied 2-3 weeks. I’m about to email again because it’s been over a month since. Hopefully this is the last little stretch. I’ve done business with them before and they’re very reputable company. Just seems like they’re really backed up. I’ll post pictures once she arrives.👍🏼

Maybe they are like most other companies nowadays that can’t find good people that are willing to show up for work on time, or will stick around long enough to get trained and develop some degree of skill.
I believe it is going to take a 50% increase in wages to get people on the lower end of the pay scale up off the couch playing video games and out of bed to get interested in working.

Maybe they are like most other companies nowadays that can’t find good people that are willing to show up for work on time, or will stick around long enough to get trained and develop some degree of skill.
I believe it is going to take a 50% increase in wages to get people on the lower end of the pay scale up off the couch playing video games and out of bed to get interested in working.
Well when you work you trade the irreplaceable hours of your life for money. Since you don’t have a clue how many hours you’ll get, they’re worth a fair bit. Those who pay well get workers, those who don’t go out of business. Anyways, would you really want some underpaid, unmotivated knothead working on a gun you’re going to buy?

Bought an early Lancaster from them around 2001. Took about 8 months- just as they said. Great rifle- a real tack driving octagon to round, round bottom rifling .62 caliber. Love it.

Latest posts

Back