• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Bore diameter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know why TVM has their barrels made with a bore diameter of .608" instead of the more or less standardized .620"?

If the owner wants to shoot patched balls, as many do, this sure complicates finding a mold of a suitable diameter unless a very thin patch is used.

There are several builders in their general vicinity who, it is claimed, subscribe to the 'Corinth school' of building fowlers. Mine is made with what is called DOM steel tubes for the barrel. And the .608" may be the closest they can get to a 20 bore. Note: I said may be. Dunno for positive. :idunno:
Methinks they could have a nice sideline making moulds to fit what they sell.

The 20 bore Colerain barrel on my fusil from TVM mics at exactly .615, a true 20 ga. I use a .595 Lee mold which produces balls pretty close to .60 with a wonderlubed .015 patch, I can shoot for an hour straight at the range with that load with no wiping.

My 20 gauge TVM smooth rifle has a Colrain barrel withna bore that measures .615 and have been able to shoot .600 and .595 balls with a .010 patch. I tried the .595 balls with a thicker patch, still not the 50 yard group I was looking for and just as hard tonload follow up shots as the .600/.010 combo. The loosed patch ball combo having the best patched round ball group I tried convinced me to try a patch less ball with was loading. Best smooth bore groups I've gotten. Point is, the bore may be non standard but there is a loading that will work. Try wads instead of patches.

Mine also has - as best I can measure - about .615"; could possibly be a shade tighter, just don't know for sure. It's a Colerain and plenty accurate for deer past 50-60 yds. Of course one can specify any other barrel/lock when the gun is ordered from TVM; I specified a different lock for mine.

I tend to think of a smoothie as a "dual purpose" gun. For me that means deer/turkey/squirrels/rabbits with shot, or mainly, ball.

Latest posts

Back