• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turtle Shell Bowl

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello The Camp:
Have couple of 10-12 inch snapping turtle shells and was just wondering if any one has ever made a bowl from one.. I would like to use one as a bowl to eat from. How did you do it and what did you use to seal it and how did you clean it after use? Would you do it again????
BobS aka Ole Coots :hmm: :idunno:

While I have seen some bowls/plates made as you describe, I don't have any first-hand info. I would say that you would remove the "bone" structure by sawing/grinding and sanding smooth. As far as sealing, I don't know how porous the shell is. Maybe a coating of cooking oil? I've got 3 shells myself, so will be watching this for more ideas.

Thanks for your input. I had thought about sealing inside with a diluted epoxy. I know that is not PC and just not sure about the oil treatment either. I have already cleaned and sanded the inside but just not sure where to go from there. Thanks again for your post.
BobS aka Ole Coots

I wonder if brewer's pitch like has been mentioned for cups would work, but also not having done this, I can't speak from experience. I would imagine beeswax would be fine if you weren't planning on eating from it, but I don't think I'd use it cause the first time you decided to have a hot meal it would start melting on you.

Bob I'm not real sure I would want to use a shell for hot food, a turtle shell is actually made up of several sections held together by both inside n outside membranes. As they age they eventually fall apart at the seams, at least in nature anyway. I've heard of guys useing a food grade poly to coat it inside but don't know of anyone personally. I have seen several used as wash basins though. Among other things. --just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Mr.Ole Coots,
I hope those aren't sea turtle shells :nono: If they are they will be wanting to drag you South down the Island and tar and feather you at the front gate of the St.Lucie Power Plant.... :rotf:

An oldtimer at Friendship used a set of snapping turtle plates for years. He was a painter and he coated the inside of the shell with white epoxy paint. They stood up to his use quite well.

Many Klatch

i need to know how on earth to make a turtle shell bowl out of turtle shells bc i need it for a survival project in college. My name is Pilgrim

Scrub it out good and use it. Why coat it with anything, when the turtle was wearing it, he didn't leak out did he. I got one I use for a water dipper, put a deer horn handle on it and it has worked fine for years.

Back