• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turning a Pedersoli Bess into a Dublin Castle Short Land Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments. Here are two photos showing the original Pedersoli stock compared with mine.
x9WaQGY.jpg

Cyrd54n.jpg

dave
All of a sudden I had something I used to hear on the radio many years ago pop in my head. Never liked it, till now.
"I like big....."
Oh, then there is always, Queen, "fat bottom girls you make...."
Spinal Top had one too I think.....

I don't know very much about the Brown Bess or all of its many variations but I pretty darn sure there was never one before this that was so finely crafter. Beautifully done Dave.
Robby

Hi,
Thanks for looking and commenting. Bob, I will test fire it as I always do. I'll wait until it is no longer -6 degree.

Robby, it is well made and probably better than any Dublin Castle guns but not so for many assembled in the Tower. I've restored a few short lands that were not war production and they were made really well. The British ordnance system was overwhelmed late in the Rev War (after France entered) and then again when the French Revolution and Napoleonic wars began. Consequently, many of the later Besses, which are the most common survivors, were pretty crude at times. After the owner gets some scratches and dings in the stock and the brass all mellows to dull mustard-yellow, I think you could put the gun behind glass in a museum collection of Besses and it would look right at home. One difference is that all of the screw and bolt heads are hardened and then tempered. That way the slots won't get chewed up by bad fitting turnscrews over the years.

dave

Will you get to fire your Bess before sending it away? Bet that would be a thrill 😃
Hi Bob,
Actually, not that much of a thrill. They are heavy, big bored, and need quite a bit of powder behind a patched ball. I enjoy building them but I don't especially like shooting them. Much rather shoot my fowlers. I will test fire the musket when it warms up a little next week. I'll put a laser bore sighter on it to see about where it will shoot but you cannot alter the front sight because it is the bayonet mount.

dave

Hi Bob,
Actually, not that much of a thrill. They are heavy, big bored, and need quite a bit of powder behind a patched ball. I enjoy building them but I don't especially like shooting them. Much rather shoot my fowlers. I will test fire the musket when it warms up a little next week. I'll put a laser bore sighter on it to see about where it will shoot but you cannot alter the front sight because it is the bayonet mount.

dave
Hi Dave,
Yeah, I think it's a heck of a lot more thrilling when you're volley-firing with a hundred other chaps in ranks. Anyway, enjoy the christening and congratulations on the masterpiece :)

Hi Bob,

dave
Different strokes. Until age and bad health stopped me from using my Ped. BB I considered it one of the mostest funnest to shoot I ever had. Fine flint rifle have their personalities and I love mine. But the BB is it's own kind of hoot to shoot.

Hi Frank,
I get it buddy and I am glad you enjoyed your time with a Bess. They are the greatest and most beautiful muskets ever made, and they are very reliable. But as I age, the lighter carbines and fowlers are much more attractive. You would like this Bess. The longer butt plate allows you to position the gun for a better cheek weld than a Pedersoli and it is the same weight. Moreover, the lock is many times better than any stock Pedersoli. The crisp trigger pull would make you happy. My best wishes to you Frank and I hope you are doing well.
Your Friend,
dave

Hi Frank,
I get it buddy and I am glad you enjoyed your time with a Bess. They are the greatest and most beautiful muskets ever made, and they are very reliable. But as I age, the lighter carbines and fowlers are much more attractive. You would like this Bess. The longer butt plate allows you to position the gun for a better cheek weld than a Pedersoli and it is the same weight. Moreover, the lock is many times better than any stock Pedersoli. The crisp trigger pull would make you happy. My best wishes to you Frank and I hope you are doing well.
Your Friend,
dave
Thanks, Dave. 👍

Great job Dave ! Learning a lot with your step by step process.

What is the best way to get started with hand carving stocks?

Do you keep an inventory of paper patterns that are traced on a blank ?

Hi Bob,

dave
I had a carbine made by James , it is very much a Bess in style but a smaller caliber .63 with a barrel which was lighter and slightly shorter .The stock was full length and slightly smaller than a Bess . I suspect it was a volunteer gun , it was too plain to be an Officers gun . It didn't have a bayonet fitting so maybe it was a cavalry weapon , There were no unit marks on it at all . You could make one of those , small light and handy .

Hi Dave . That is him , What a lovely gun ,you really are a talented chap. Better to carry than the Bess and faster pointing and less recoil depending on the load .
Cheers Dunc

Hey Dave, I’m working on a Perdisolie Kentucky Pistol. I’m wanting to add under lugs for barrel keys. I know you mentioned using stay bright solder. Is that a higher grade solder over standard plumbing solder that I can buy at Lowe’s?

Latest posts

Back