• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

turn around for Bobby Hoyts work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_point

50 cal
Reaction score
what is about the average time for Bobby Hoyt to rebore a rifle barrel and send it back?

what is about the average time for Bobby Hoyt to rebore a rifle barrel and send it back?
Call him. He will tell you the current wait. Depends on his backlog and any plans he may have. I have gotten barrels back in as few as a couple weeks and as long as a couple months (he told me beforehand to expect a longer wait). You need to talk to him directly.

Last edited:
Call him. He will tell you the current wait. Depends on his backlog and any plans he may have. I have gotten barrels back in as few as a couple weeks and as long as a couple months (he told me beforehand to expect a longer wait). You need to talk to him directly.

What is the best time of day to call him?

I hope Mr Hoyt and Mr Rayl have at least 1 shop apprentice each. It'll be a sad day when they no longer do barrel work.

Don't know about Mr. Rayl but, I've read that Mr. Hoyt has a granddaughter who helps him in the shop.

I did not have success calling him. It seems that he does not answer the phone during the work day. Due to the time difference calling him at the start of his day was not appealing to me. Instead I wrote a letter, included a self addressed stamped envelope, and instructions to write his answers on my letter. It came back to me very quickly. Make it easy for him and don't waste his time.

Why not call him and ask?
357 liner? I had him do a Vetterli for me. He installed a liner, then rifled the liner.

357 cartridge spec liner in a cap and ball revolver?? I made a ML pistol with a 40 Smith Wesson barrel blank. The rifling was too shallow. IT shot accurately most of the time. Occasionally it threw a wild flyer. I have no experience with 357 barrels used that way. I would write him a letter and see what he thinks. He can cut the bore and grooves to any size. Get his input based on your cylinder/chamber measurements.

I do agree that 36 cal revolvers usually have grossly over sized barrels relative to the chambers. I never understood why they do that.

Back