• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkish miquelet flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam squanch

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Just received this.

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1042.jpeg
    IMG_1042.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
More…

Attachments

• IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
  • IMG_1046.jpeg
    IMG_1046.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1047.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1048.jpeg
    IMG_1048.jpeg
The replaceable frizzen seems unused. The only wear on this lock is the brass( I think) inlay which is worn off. Dump truck suspension spring as a mainspring, they wanted this to go off! Plate measures 3.25 long , 1.25 at the widest point. Very narrow pan. The pan to frizzen fit is quite good. I haven’t tried to disassemble this yet .

Not sure. I want to see how it sparks first. I may make a knee blunderbuss with it.

If it sparks well, I may use it on a long gun. If it’s kind of haphazard, it will go on a pistol or blunderbuss. If it put it on a long gun, I’ll want to hunt with it, therefore, it HAS to work. I like venison too much for it NOT to work!

Hi Sam

Nice find. A good example of an Ottoman lock. Should clean up well. From the photos that decoration appears more like silver than brass. Which would also be typical. Yes, the mainsprings on most of these Ottoman locks are brute strong. One of the likely reasons for the fingers cradle on top of the hammer. I've always thought that long, narrow pan was designed to have the maximum width to capture sparks. And was imagined as the so-called "fuse effect" being the thinking of the day. The mainsprings are so strong you are almost guaranteed sparks. The serrated frizzen face will act as some what of a self-knapping feature. Which is good, since they tend to chew up flints very quickly. LOL To test the lock, you almost have to find a way to clamp it in a vise (tricky) so you have both hands free, But then, I'm almost 73 and don't have the strength in my hands I use to. LOL

Rick

I found something suspicious-looked like an old brazing repair at the neck of the cock , where it meets the lock plate. So I used an old trick. I soaked the part in kroil overnight, then wiped it off. Then dusted it with talcum powder. The theory is, any oil left in any cracks will seep out and wet the powder, showing where the crack is.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I also heated the part with a propane torch. To see if any kroil seeped out. Nothing. If this was an old repair, the old boy sure knew his stuff. I am working on loosening the replaceable frizzen face. Just in case it doesn’t spark well, I will make a new one. I think I will cautiously use this lock, checking the base of the cock often.

Nice work Sam. One of the common characteristics I've often noticed with these Eastern style locks is the lack of polishing (or very little). Inside or outside. Apparently they found it unnecessary. Yet they would apply decoration on the lock which would be time consuming. Curious.

Thanks for posting your progress. As they say, please continue.

Rick

If it sparks well, I may use it on a long gun. If it’s kind of haphazard, it will go on a pistol or blunderbuss. If it put it on a long gun, I’ll want to hunt with it, therefore, it HAS to work. I like venison too much for it NOT to work!
It would seem you consider the lock expendable to your needs like some modern machine disgorged gun lock. And question the skill of its maker as if you can just replace parts as suits you. But it is antique original and deserves to be preserved and not remotely expendable . If you need to ensure your venison I suggest you use some gun you are used too .There are enough' Bubba s' all ready . Rudyard

This lock is designed for a frizzen / steel replacement. I would rather preserve the old frizzen insert, and scrape away on a new one. This is the only thing I will do to this lock. I plan to use it on some kind of build in the near future. And probably one I won’t shoot too much. Thinking about it, it will go on a pistol or small blunder buss , mainly for an example of this type of gun. And PS, where I’m from, being called “ bubba “ is an insult. Good day.

Dear Sam .Thats not how you came across, I have had to restore a lot of 'Bubbaed' up guns I know its derogatory .Sorry if I ruffled your feathers So many guns have been ruined by modern shooters its a sensitive point with me. .I trust you will understand .
Regards Rudyard

Well, no dice on sparking. Got one weak orange spark. Then nothing. But the lock functions fine besides no flame. I’ll make a new frizzen face and try again.

Hi Sam

Great idea with the test fixture. Will have to make one myself. Thanks.

Not sparking. Hmmm. Maybe the frizzen insert is too soft ? Not too surprising. I've always thought it curious that the Eastern gun lock makers didn't seem to understand heat treating for frizzens, springs, etc. equal to their European counterparts. Especially considering their sword making ability. Strange. Most of my Eastern locks had to have frizzen re-hardening and tuning to function well.

Thanks for posting. Keep us informed.

Rick

Success!! Made a new frizzen insert , and heat treated it according to Dave Person’s instructions. Went off every time. The new insert next to the old, and my fire brick mini oven. It works fine for heating small parts with just a propane torch.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpeg
    IMG_1128.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1129.jpeg
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back