• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really nice. How are the bears hangers made ?
We used brass we cut off of spent 20 ga shells. Popped out the primers and threaded the cut off leg/spur on some leather strips. When you cut off the leg you can push out the tendons and it leaves a perfect channel for the leather to thread through. Put a piece of shrink tubing over the leather, to keep the spurs up off the brass a little. Tied the strips in a knot and pulled them back up into the brass. Put some epoxie sculpt in the brass and pushed the beard up in. Let it dry overnight and it’s ready to hang up. Oh and we put the beard ends and cut off legs in salt for a couple weeks before to dry them out.

IeswoZe.jpg

I'll be toting Sweet Rachael in the turkey woods again. She's a 20 gauge with a 42" Colerain turkey barrel. I shot this bird at 40 steps. I had no idea it was that far until I wen to pick him up. When I got to where he laid, I thought to myself, "Dang, that was a long ways!"

Darren

We used brass we cut off of spent 20 ga shells. Popped out the primers and threaded the cut off leg/spur on some leather strips. When you cut off the leg you can push out the tendons and it leaves a perfect channel for the leather to thread through. Put a piece of shrink tubing over the leather, to keep the spurs up off the brass a little. Tied the strips in a knot and pulled them back up into the brass. Put some epoxie sculpt in the brass and pushed the beard up in. Let it dry overnight and it’s ready to hang up. Oh and we put the beard ends and cut off legs in salt for a couple weeks before to dry them out.
Thanks a lot. That's awesome, I'm gonna give it a try this year.

This will be my first year hunting anything with a flintlock. I bought a 14ga, .690 smoothbore with a jug choke from a local member here. I have been patterning it for the past two weeks whenever I can get to the range. Am using 2oz shot over 90gr FFG, that is what was required to tighten up my pattern.Sounds like a lot, but the kick is not bad, and I will never notice the kick when a long beard is in front of me. Here in Southern Vermont the turkeys are just starting to strut.

Attachments

• 5A01F786-6E2D-454B-A59F-F9500F207C57.jpeg
    5A01F786-6E2D-454B-A59F-F9500F207C57.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back