• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Turkey Wings Calls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Short Arm

40 Cal.
Reaction score
With hunting season almost here, I'm asking for turkey wings and legs from your hunts this season. Plan to build wing bone yelpers. So if you have some from your hunt and not going to use them let me know. Thanks Lynn

Ogre, raw please
Thanks Swampy, And how are you doing ? Long time young man. Be safe this weekend.

Lynn, .. I have bought turkey wings at the grocery store to make calls. Might check the meat counter?

I use the wings in soup or whatever,and cook the meat off the bones.

Rick

Hope i am not intruding,just wanted to show this one as an example,it was givin to me by a feller that collects them.Sure would like to see yours when your finished,this is the only one i have and wouldn't mind haveing a couple more..

DSC05677.jpg

DSC05678.jpg

DSC05679.jpg

Chief, You have a nice one. I can do the thread work on these and finish. I use to wrap fishing rods which is what they do on these call.I'm not a painter. I do have one coming next week from a customer. I'll post when I finish one.

I've made hundreds of wing bone calls, some I'll leave bright white as decrative ones but for real use I'll stain them in any of several ways to color them up so they don't stand out in the woods like a sore thumb. One thing I've found is there are tons of ol wives tales they are total BS, ya have to use only tom turkey calls for males, n hen bones for hens, if its been cooked it won't work n ya can only use wild bird bones, all those are BS n hot air. Clean em out good so there is no marrow left in em is the biggest thing, if its left behind n yer sucking in on one ya could get sick from the bacteria, the three bone call was popularized in the late 1800s n early 1900s more because of astetics then quality or sound, guys just plain like that look better then most two or single bone calls.I've got enough bones to last me a life time in the freezer, really should get back to making some, been a few years hahaha, to dang many other projects going on all the time. oh yea , personally I'd stay away from red n blue colors as decoration if yer gonna actually use them in the field, with all the yutzs out there any more that don't identify a target before shooting, those are the colors of a Toms head n COULD possably get ya hurt.
:patriot: :2 ps I know they work n work well, especially in high call use areas, they have a different tone somehow to the birds, I've sold n given them away to fellas all over the country n had numerous phone calls n letters of thanks on how well they worked. which shoots down another myth that ya got to use the bones from the type bird yer hunten, haha

Short Arm said:
With hunting season almost here, I'm asking for turkey wings and legs from your hunts this season. Plan to build wing bone yelpers. So if you have some from your hunt and not going to use them let me know. Thanks Lynn

Lynn, I had to go back and re-read your original post....yep! You were just asking about getting some turkey bones for calls ... not how to make them etc.

Birdman, Your right about painting up a turkey call! ... Might look OK at a Pow Wow, but not in the hunting woods!

Guy's, Not a big fan of the painted one's and bright colors. Greens browns earth tone work for me. I may need to learn to scrim little also.

Back