• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Turkey season.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all... I got a question.... I was thinking about carrying a BP 12 gauge this year for turkey season... I was thinking about buying some TSS shot to load it with... I was wondering if anyone had a load ...worked up using that type of shot or if it'd be safe to use in a Black powder gun...and if it would be more effective than regular lead

Right
never used TSS but I know it is expensive I have killed 2 with a .54 smooth rifle and am using a .62 trade gun this year. look on here for skychief load it will help also the old saying less powder more lead. good luck.

Right that is why I was wondering about the TSS shot....in the unspeakables shells the are usually number 9 shot making for a lot more pellets in there

Unless you are using a wad of some kind I would not use TSS in a muzzleloader. I load TSS for turkeys in an unmentionable. From what I was told and trained to do was place a mylar sleeve inside the wad as a second line of protection. The TSS is harder than the barrel and could/can damage the barrel. I maybe wrong but the person that taught me to load TSS was very knowledgeable about TSS and reloading. I hope this helps.

Unless you are using a wad of some kind I would not use TSS in a muzzleloader. I load TSS for turkeys in an unmentionable. From what I was told and trained to do was place a mylar sleeve inside the wad as a second line of protection. The TSS is harder than the barrel and could/can damage the barrel. I maybe wrong but the person that taught me to load TSS was very knowledgeable about TSS and reloading. I hope this helps.

It does... I was planning to use shot cups ... As a matter of fact they are the same one's they use in the night shotgun....

It does... I was planning to use shot cups ... As a matter of fact they are the same one's they use in the night shotgun....
Sounds good. But I would also use mylar with the shot cups/wads. There are several YouTube videos about how to reload TSS with mylar. As I was informed it is better to be a bit practical than to ruin a gun barrel.

I was just talking to an individual in a hunting forum on this matter. He had a an American fowler built with a corelain barrel and he shoots #9 TSS, not shot cups involved. Amazing patterns at 50 yards per his picture (if true). Can’t speak on the well being of the barrel, though.

Back