• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Turkey Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm hooked.

Went out today, first back to the place I saw turkey #2 when scouting. Winds are gusting to 25 mph - birds will not want to be high on the ridge. So I go down half way or so and set up.

I start calling, clucks and yelps. Just a bit, not a lot. Ten minutes in, two birds come in for a look, settling in a large oak 80-90Y away.

As I called more, they were obviously interested. They'd flap wings and change positions in the tree.
Then, they both flew off.

This was wonderfully exciting, but two problems:

- I don't know why I could not entice them to go to ground and come in for a closer look. I suspect they could *see* me (I'm in camo head to toe including gloves and face mask back against a large oak). That and/or the calling didn't pass muster.

- I was never sure if they were gobblers. They looked too big to be hens but do gobblers travel together, sans hens??

Of course the beard is the key, and seeing a beard is not possible at that distance. I should have taken those binoculars.

In the following 3.5 hours we saw only squirrels (because it's not squirrel season).

Last edited:
I found this on another forum:

"I would never use the Skychief load in a choked gun. They usually need no special wadding to shoot
like champs & better than modern guns, per choke designation. Adjust shot and powder charges and that's
about it."
I can’t say for sure if the skychief load is effective in chocked barrels, but my left barrel was e
Well, I'm hooked.

Went out today, first back to the place I saw turkey #2 when scouting. Winds are gusting to 25 mph - birds will not want to be high on the ridge. So I go down half way or so and set up.

I start calling, clucks and yelps. Just a bit, not a lot. Ten minutes in, two birds come in for a look, settling in a large oak 80-90Y away.

As I called more, they were obviously interested. They'd flap wings and change positions in the tree.

- I don't know why I could not entice them to go to ground and come in for a closer look. I suspect they could *see* me (I'm in camo head to toe including gloves and face mask back against a large oak).

- I was never sure if they were gobblers (males). The beard is the key, and seeing a beard is not possible at that distance. I should have taken those binoculars.

In the following 3.5 hours we saw only squirrels (because it's not squirrel season).
Consider the turkeys to have Superman X-ray vision in the woods. If you can see them, they can see you 10 times better. Putting binoculars up to your eyes is like waving a big orange flag (even in camo). Put yourself between terrain structures that hide you unequivocally. If you see them, don’t move a muscle until they are within range. Only then bring your gun into position if they pass behind an object like a tree or rock. Even blinking can scare them away from shotgun range. I wear sunglasses to hide my eyes. Good luck, sorry you got the turkey bug😉.

Well, I'm hooked.

- I don't know why I could not entice them to go to ground and come in for a closer look. I suspect they could *see* me (I'm in camo head to toe including gloves and face mask back against a large oak). That and/or the calling didn't pass muster.

- I was never sure if they were gobblers. They looked too big to be hens but do gobblers travel together, sans hens??

Of course the beard is the key, and seeing a beard is not possible at that distance. I should have taken those binoculars.

Might have been too much calling.
Also, I have had birds hang up when the get to an open spot that they feel that the hen they came looking for should be able to see them based on the sound location that brought them there.

Once I can see them I only make sounds of content feeding. Like happy hens who have found a good spot to eat. Very, very soft purrs and clucks, slight scratching in the leaf litter next to my leg.

I just love my Pedersoli but man oh man why can't they make them with insertable chokes, or at least full when you order full.

OTOH turkey shotshells online are scarce as hen's teeth now. It's unreal. Luckily I have some shells but they are 2 3/4", 1 1/16 oz #4, not exactly a magnum load.

My Pedersoli thru the left barrel (IM) patterns well enough at 35Y to kill a tom. I wish I had time to pattern it against the Ruger, and also time to buy suitable shot/loads for both.
My 10 gauge does have removable chokes, but I haven't tried using others.

I went out scouting today and jumped not one but TWO huge toms in different oak trees.

Now I am pumped.

Also torn between using my Pedersoli SBS which is choked modified/improved modified vs. my modern OU for which I have full chokes.

Anybody killing turkeys here NOT using full chokes?

Quite a few actually. Both my smoothbores are cylinder bore! I posted a video on Monday of a turkey hunt with my trade gun.

Pattern densities can be changed even in a cylinder smooth bore .
Increasing shot hardness will tighten the pattern , use high antimony shot or even nickel or copper plated shot .
Increasing shot size will tighten the pattern , if you have time try larger shot 6's or even 5's . lower velocity will tighten patterns ,trying to go too fast can blow the pattern open but don't sacrifice velocity to the detriment of killing energy .
Try different powder granulations .
. Correct fitting wads are also important , if the wadding is too thin or undersized, gas can escape around the wads and blow the pattern .
The most important thing is getting your gun to shoot where you are aiming at the distance you need to shoot at , no point in having a nice pattern a foot or so to the side.
All this takes time and effort but it is worth it , it is no different in sighting in a rifle and developing the most accurate load . It will be a very satisfying exercise .
Other peoples loads can be a starting point but each smoothie needs its own recipe for success .

As Cutfinger stated one can adjust patterns in a strait cylinder smooth bore. I have an older Pedersoli SxS 10ga Water Fowler strait cylinder that I hunt turkey/Pheasant with. By changing the shot to #6 copper coated and added a little more over powder cushion wad (3/4" thick) and a tighter fit over shot wade I was able to get good tight patterns. For turkey I started to use paper shot bags with one thin over shot wad seated tight to the powder and then shot wad over the bag, coated on the outside sides of bag with T/C bore butter. Powder I use is triple 7 as I can cut powder 10% and still get the desired chamber pressure and knock down power. I was able to almost duplicate the pattern coming out of my 870 with an extra-extra full choke, just not the same range, I was good out to 40yds. FYI, for those that live in Colorado front range I'm an official measure for Long-Hunter Society, B&C so if you have a trophy you are interested in getting measured and entered let me know.

Back