• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withakri

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I finally was able to gather everything I need to turkey hunt this season with my 20ga pedersoli. It wasn't easy to find black powder and caps locally but I eventually found a place an hour or so away here in Maryland. Gonna do some shooting this week and wanted to make sure what I am planning on shooting makes sense for turkeys.

How does this sound:

70 grain FFFg powder (couldnt find 2F)
Nitro card
1 oz of lead shot
thin overshot card
prelubed wool wad (should I soak in olive oil?)

The pedersoli i bought is choked cyl/mod. How different or similar will the shot pattern be by barrel?

I was trying to emulate the skychief load for a tighter pattern.
The wool wad won't be heavy enough to mimic the skychief load.
With the components you have I would put the lubed wool wad on top of the nitro card to reduce fouling and up the shot load to 1 1/8 oz. With one or two thin cards to hold it all in.
But of course pattern it and maybe try the lubed wool on top. Maybe try it with lubed wool above and below?

OK. Makes sense. For better or worse track of the wolf talked me into the wool wads.

Just got done (I think) patterning my 20ga for turkey. Mine likes 90 gr 1F, thick over powder card, 90 gr (same measure) # 6 shot, thin over shot card and thick oil soaked wad. Fired at 19 turkey targets (TY member who posted the .pdf) at 25 yds. All but 2 had several hits in kill zone, 5-6 had like 14 pellets in kill zone. I think the ones with no pellets in kill zone would have killed or shocked enough for me wring a neck after jumping flopping bird. Little kick and shot # 20 went through a tuna can, all the tuna and one out of 12 pellets exited clean, a few bulged with small hole. I'm ready!

Any early hunters note any pattern change in breeding per the climate change temps?? I have heard its all about temps and I have heard its all about length of sunlight???

Withakri, is there any way/time to get your hands on some cushion wads? I believe they will work much better than the wool wads. At least from the cylinder bore.

Good luck, Skychief.

For fear of starting something, I have personally seen turkeys run away after a hit that would kill anything else dead as door nails. You have to have pellets in the spine/brain to drop them long enough to finish them by hand.

Just got done (I think) patterning my 20ga for turkey. Mine likes 90 gr 1F, thick over powder card, 90 gr (same measure) # 6 shot, thin over shot card and thick oil soaked wad. Fired at 19 turkey targets (TY member who posted the .pdf) at 25 yds. All but 2 had several hits in kill zone, 5-6 had like 14 pellets in kill zone. I think the ones with no pellets in kill zone would have killed or shocked enough for me wring a neck after jumping flopping bird. Little kick and shot # 20 went through a tuna can, all the tuna and one out of 12 pellets exited clean, a few bulged with small hole. I'm ready!

Any early hunters note any pattern change in breeding per the climate change temps?? I have heard its all about temps and I have heard its all about length of sunlight???

I have noticed that the birds gobble a lot more the bigger the moon is at night. The birds have already nested when we get to them early in the season. The month before is the actual breeding season. In AZ they don’t nest a second time so the roosters are hard pressed to get some. That benefits you if you can trick them, but they are usually following around hens like poor lost souls.

I’m in Phoenix, but lived in NM for years. My pop lives in Albuquerque and we usually hunt in NM. Life has gotten in the way of turkey hunting for the last 5 or 10 years. I won’t hunt this season, but I love being out in the turkey woods with birds gobbling in three directions. Maybe next year with the Pedersoli.

Latest posts

Back