• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Turkey Hunting with round ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody do any turkey hunting with round ball in states that allow it? Thinking about going to WV this Spring and try it.
I've shot a few using a .45cal. RB ahead of 40gr FFF. I try to place the ball above the legs ...just under or breaking the spine. If the bird is headed away, I try to shoot higher so as to miss the breast, hitting the spine or breaking wings/lungs. This avoids losing much meat. I've tried head shots a couple times ....only worked once. The heads move around a lot!

Your right.To get a head shot is pure luck with a rifle with their head constantly bobbing around.Just not a good idea and just to risky on injuring the bird.

First bird I shot years ago was in a coulee (small draw) along with a bunch of his (?) buddies. Fall season in MT is either sex and rifles are allowed. Anyway, I sneaked down the draw on the opposite side of a fill and culvert. Spotted the turkey heads up peaking out of the draw...just across the fill ...spotted movement through the culvert. It was a turkey! So lined up through the culvert....maybe 25-30 feet long and shot, breaking the neck on the turkey! At least that one never saw me coming!

To each his own but to me a round ball is just wrong. Don't be upset with me that's just me. SHOTGUN WITH 4,5,6,7 UP CLOSE
IS the way to do it. I've called in a few but no bird yet. LOL

To each his own but to me a round ball is just wrong. Don't be upset with me that's just me. SHOTGUN WITH 4,5,6,7 UP CLOSE
IS the way to do it. I've called in a few but no bird yet. LOL
I agree up close is exciting. I shot my turkey this year from 36 feet away with my .40. Not upset by the way; I just maintain that the gun used is a matter of choice and familiarity. My shotgun is a caplock. I wanted to use my flintlock. Here in Texas both rifles and shotguns are legal. I've shot a number of birds both ways. To each his own...

It's still legal here in Pa, but only for fall turkeys, and only using muzzleloaders. I contemplated taking my .32 caliber out but, the problem here is, you're sharing the woods with small game hunters, and archery deer hunters in the fall. For that reason, I only hunt turkeys in the springtime. At least then there are only turkey hunters about, so no squirrel hunters etc walking past your setup. I use my flintlock smoothbore with shot in the spring.

Back