• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Hunting Week Day 3 Afternoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a nap under a shade tree I wandered about the property again. I figured the birds might be thinking the same as me, hide under a shade tree. It was pretty windy, so I used the wind to sneak up on the big trees. Unfortunately there were no birds there. I was heading back towards the truck when I heard a gobble. I quickly clucked back and received a gobble in return. This went back and forth several times but the Tom was hung up and wouldn't budge. I decided to stick with that bird. I cut the distance in half as quietly and quickly as I could and I clucked and purred again. The gobble was distinctly louder due to the closer proximity. We started a conversation and suddenly I could tell the bird was moving towards me. I set out the decoy and backed up against a big tree. The conversation went on, but my clucks and purrs got softer and more subdued. Movement on my right caught my attention. The red ball moving towards me was obviously a gobbler. As he came over the rise to the level of my decoy he looked huge. When he was about 10 feet from the decoy he decided to move back right and away from "her". When he was somewhere around 20-25 yards I put the bead on his chin and squeezed the trigger. I could hear the flopping before the smoke cleared. I kept him covered with the gun but no need for the second barrel, he was dead right there. This is a real heavy bird and I am thankful and blessed....

Turkey-2-2.jpg

Turkey-2-2-2.jpg

Sparkitoff, this was like a drink of water to a thirsty man! Congratulations and thanks much for posting this. I was right there with you and forgot the adversity we are all facing these days. Thanks for the distraction!!

Best regards, Skychief.

Wow, that’s great! You’re having some good luck. I’m just hoping they don’t cancel our turkey season here that’s supposed to open on the 11th. Got another 6-8” of snow last night, hopefully some warmer temps to come & melt the snow as much as possible before the season opens.

Apologize if you’ve already covered this but could you give some information on your gun, load etc? Thanks...

19 gauge SxS, with IC/Mod chokes. One 1-oz "scoop" of FFFg, a card wad, a fibre wad, one 1-oz "scoop" of #5 shot (3% antimony) two over-shot cards per barrel. The I/C barrel will pattern tight enough for multiple hits on a turkey head at 25-yards and the Mod barrel carries it to 34-yards. I've done extensive patterning for turkey and another set of patterning for flying birds and small game. The first turkey was with Mod barrel and was actually closer than the second bird. One the second bird I meant to use the Mod barrel but the gloved finger got me and I used the IC barrel. It worked just fine nonetheless. Both birds were dumped right there and showed multiple shot to the head and neck. My pattern is around 60/40 with 60 % above point of aim and 40% below. The gun has two beads. If I figure 8 them, that is the pattern on a stationary target. I put the figure 8 under the birds chin or mid-way on the neck depending on the presentation. I've had 5 solid one shot kills on turkey with this set-up, and 1 solid miss....lol.

Wow, that’s great! You’re having some good luck. I’m just hoping they don’t cancel our turkey season here that’s supposed to open on the 11th. Got another 6-8” of snow last night, hopefully some warmer temps to come & melt the snow as much as possible before the season opens.

Apologize if you’ve already covered this but could you give some information on your gun, load etc? Thanks...

Hey 'HiCntry, who are "they" and why would "they" possibly cancel your turkey season? Heaven forbid it!!!!!

Thanks, Skychief.

Hey 'HiCntry, who are "they" and why would "they" possibly cancel your turkey season? Heaven forbid it!!!!!

Thanks, Skychief.

"They" would be the Colorado Parks and Wildlife. If they did it it would be due to the "stay at home order" by the governor. There's been some rumor or speculation, but nothing as of yet and the season starts Saturday so hopefully nothing will happen. I've heard other states have stopped selling turkey tags to non-residents and offering refunds for those who pre-purchased tags. They are really trying to crack down on people from the front range flocking to the mountains during this order. Possibly further spreading the virus when they stop for gas, food etc in the smaller mountain towns. Although just about every town has been impacted at this point...

Back