• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Hunting Week Day 1

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This week social distancing for me means anything "in season" within 35 yards. That's a good distance for rifle or shotgun. Although I want a nice gobbler turkey, I am starting with scouting. I have two places that are 4500 and 5000 acres respectively. I have no idea where the turkey are hanging out this year. I am taking the .32 "squirrel" rifle on a trek in the hopes of picking spots to focus on turkey tomorrow. Loaded with a .310 ball, .015 patch and 20 grains of FFFg Goex this percussion rifle is dead-on at 25-yards and hold 10-shots inside a 1" group off the bench. The first few miles do not reveal any roosts nor the sound of gobbles. There is little food around this part of the property that I can see. A little further on a see some movement and get a slight rush of anticipation. As I stare and move one foot at a time I start to make out what it is. A boar cottontail is standing behind a little brush. I mean standing like on its back legs. I think its about 30 yards so I set the sights below what I think is the eye and I squeeze. When there smoke clears there is nothing. I go to the bush and sure enough there lies a bunny with a hole in his head. After a quick field dressing, onto the lanyard he goes. I am moving slow but still seem to be covering ground. No gobbles are heard and no birds are seen, nor signs of birds having been there previously. It is near lunch, and I don't expect much, however another big-eared rabbit hops out into the trail in front of me. I ease into range as it is facing away from me and the wind is in my favor. At around 25-yards I ease the hammer back and bring the rifle to shoulder. Squinting, the rabbit comes into focus as do the sights. Breathe, squeeze, pow. The smoke hangs in the air quite a long time. I finally step aside to see what has occurred if anything. The rabbit is lying in the trail where it was. He is cleaned and hung next to the other on the lanyard. Near 3 O'clock I am just about back to my starting point. Something gets my attention and I become fully alert. What do you know, another rabbit is sunning in a bare spot of soft dirt. Within range, I ease back the hammer and take aim. The ball is true and rabbit 3 is added to the lanyard. Just before the last turn towards the truck I see a peculiar shape at the base of a tree. As I get closer I realize a squirrel is sitting up on the ground holding a piece of vegetation of some sort. I put the sights on his chin, cock the hammer and concentrate. At the shot the buck squirrel is motionless and lifeless. A nice multi-species bag for the days trek. I still have time to drive to another spot and find a turkey...…

Small-Game.jpg

I see one of my friends at a barn on the way to the next spot. They decide to jump in the truck with me and help out. Across the ranch I see a lone gobbler. It is nearly 7:30 PM so there is not much time left. I ease out of the truck with decoy and shotgun and my friend drives off to a nearby turn to hide the truck. My shotgun is a 19 gauge SxS, loaded with a 1 oz scoop full of FFFg Goex , the cards and wads and a 1 oz scoop of #5 shot. When set up, I can see the gobbler less than 75-yards away in brush. A few soft clucks don't entice him at all. At 7:40 something my phone is buzzing like crazy. It must be important. It is my friend. There is a gobbler doing a dance right next to the truck. I stick it out with the one I have nearby but as dark arrives, he never comes. Just a few minutes before the light is gone a hear a series of gobbles across the property quite a ways. I know where they are likely coming from so that will be the target area for the morning....

Back