• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Turkey Foot Bacon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey :)

Turkey Foot bacon?? Guys I don’t mean bacon made with turkey’s feet, that’d be... strange! Guys I’m talking about the natural salt cured country bacon from Turkey Foot Traders!

http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/driededibles.html

I placed an order for some tow for cleaning my rifle from these guys (excellent tow btw) and stumbled onto the edibles section of their site. Didn’t see any of the usual “edibles” people seem to indulge in around these parts (Las Vegas) lol but saw their bacon and ordered some.

Showed up the other day. It requires no refrigeration and is heavily salt cured and air dried. It can be placed in a pack no problem. It should be soaked in water for most of an hour or better before cooking as it’s heavily ensalted to ensure it’s safe even unrefrigerated. It enplumpens and softs up nicely during the soak.

Tough to cut so have a sharp knife! Tastes really, really great. Nice Smokey flavor. I’ve fried some with eggs and put some in with split pea soup, both great. Would make an ideal historically correct trail food. The far from it alone would be great for cooking many things on the trail.

Highly recommended! Great people and great old fashioned bacon!

-Smokey

Showed up the other day. It requires no refrigeration and is heavily salt cured and air dried. It can be placed in a pack no problem. It should be soaked in water for most of an hour or better before cooking as it’s heavily ensalted to ensure it’s safe even unrefrigerated. It enplumpens and softs up nicely during the soak.
I always change the water once when soaking dry cured bacon. They've improved a bit, as the bit I got sorta tasted like the burlap.
You might want to check around as from time to time you can find less expensive dry cured bacon. Unfortunately, it's often sold in large orders so best to have a buddy or two to split it with.

LD

Back