• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

turkey calls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting all hepped up to try turkey hunting. Don't know a thing about it. I see many turkey calls of different sorts and am wondering which one would be the must have and maybe a second.I have my new custom 20ga flintlock fowling gun that I am yet to figure a load for, this winter has not been kindly for shooting here in Maine. I will be thankful for your advise.
Cheers
RFMcD

If you have plenty of time to practice then try some mouth calls. They do require lots of practice to master. I suggest getting yourself a good old fashioned fool proof one sided lynch box. They are easy to use an have brought in a many lovesick longbeard :thumbsup:

I personally cannot use a diaphragm call, they make me gag :barf:

I use a wingbone call that I made from one of the turkeys that I shot. Have had good success with it in both the fall and spring seasons. In addition to the wingbone call, last fall I used a turtle shell slate call that I made. Not very good with that call, but it does sound pretty good.

while a diaphragm call works great and leaves your hands free I'd bet more birds have been killed over the years with a box call. Get a box call for the first year and have a good time, you can call all the birds you want with it.

My recommendation would be to get a slate call, first of all. I think they are the easiest to run with little practice to make all the different hen calls.

Secondly, I would say get a diaphragm call and practice with it to get Ole Tom in real close.

That being said, I've had a lot of luck bringing them in really close by scratching leaves with my hand, when the bird can't see me do it.

Best of luck Ratfaced'!

So I think that a box call and a diaphragm are where I will start. I am surprised that the shaker gobbling ones are not mentioned. Is it mostly hen imitations that are used? Time to get those calls and practice and hope I can get out soon to work up a good pattern. I tried tow as both an OP and an OS wad. Not really happy with that. I got some 1/8 OP wads and some thin OS card that I want to try. I have about 50# of #6 shot, I might buy some #4 or 5. I hate to as I have so much # 6.
Thank you all for the advice.
Cheers
RFMcD

I can produce a gobble with my box call. Takes some practice and doesn't sound good to me but the turkeys like it. Use it to locate the quiet toms.

The biggest part of turkey hunting is to hunt where the turkeys are! Ya cain't call what ain't thar!

Best of luck this spring. I've been wanting to try my luck in Maine. Keep it simple for your 1st season. A box call will work OK. Try one of the Primos stacked frame deadly double. It's pretty easy to master. At some point, you'll have to put down the box to prepare for the shot, that's when a mouth call can help close the deal. I don't recommend trying to make any gobbler calls, might be dangerous.

Diaphragm calls are a no go for me. I use a slate pot and striker. Do you have a buddy that can SHOW you what he uses? I think a lot of us learn from demonstration and peer mentoring...

ratfacedmcdougal said:
I ordered two diaphragms and a box call. Probably drive the bride and the dog nuts.
RFMcD

No "probably" about it. My wife threatened divorce when I was learning. That's probably why I still am pretty bad with a turkey call. :surrender:

Depending on who is hunting near you, a gobble call may attract more hunters than turkeys.

Use them wisely if at all.

I agree with this! Mimicking a gobbling turkey can many times bring other hunters running toward your location. Not only does this hinder your ability to lure a longbeard into your setup, but could put you in danger of being shot by another hunter. Having said all of that, I have done it myself but prefer not to these days.

Jeff

Owl calls and crow calls, are good to make a gobbler sound off. I use an Owl call just before daylight and often have a gobbler sound off while still on the roost. After day light a crow call can make a gobbler sound off. One time I slammed the truck door, and a gobbler sounded off. Then a box call is my choice for bringing in the gobbler, followed by some soft purrs on a slate caller. My main objective, is to get a gobbler to sound off, and pin point his location and develop a plan to get set-up on him, then try to call him in. Sitting uphill from the gobbler, gives you the best advantage. On ridges, I like to be on the same lead, gobbles don't like to cross creeks or fences, so I try to eliminate hang-ups, making it easier for the gobbler to come in. Good luck.

I use and carry a variety of calls diaphragm, box, and slate. My favorite call is the Ben Lee Super Hen.

One thing I have found is that the more I call, the more that gobbler knows exactly where that hen should be. If he comes into your setup and does not see a hen, many times he will get nervous and hang up. At least this has been my experience.

I like to get a gobbler to sound off. If I can then get him fired up and coming to my position, I'll usually set my box call down and just make some very light purrs and clucks on my slate.

I've had a bunch of gobblers hang up just out of range looking for that hen that they had been hearing for the past 30 minutes. Of course if your using decoys, no problem. But I seldom use decoys.

Jeff

RFMD:
Get a slate call. you can really do some great purrs with one. The diaphragm is excellent so they can't see your hands move. Practice, practice, practice. Call me sometime!
Nit Wit

You will need a box call and a slate call, and it doesn't matter which you get first because both will call in toms. The diaphragm or mouth call will tickle the roof of your mouth until you figure it out, but it works to get one in range if they hang up just out of range, but in sight. Another good choice is a push button yelper, like the one made by HS Strut, or similar. If you get a tom to answer your calls remain silent, he all ready knows where you are. Yes, their sense of hearing is that good, and to make things even harder for us, their vision is equivalent to looking through eight power binoculars and they see in color. Keep yer powder dry......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back