• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Call

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. Can't claim I ever had any luck with the "commercial variety", but the last couple years have had decent luck using homemade calls. I carry a wide variety of calls and like to take their temperature. Whatever gets a response is generally what I stick with. That said...I don't like to overcall. I think that's why I like the wingbone so much now. I put it away early and let him come "a lookin." Those mouth calls are just too easy to keep yack'n it up!

I know what ya mean about yaken it up. I tell newbies call like you have 10 grizzly bears in the woods with you can they eat turkey hunters.
My Dad that is the one call he used 99.5% of the time and kilt quite a few using it in heavly hunted public land. His was made out of aluminum tubing about 4" long. We've cut river cane and used them also. The hardest parts of learning the wingbone call is one: getting over it tickling your lip then two: getting the two tones out of the yelp with it. Get your jaw moving a little helps with getting the two tones. I can say I've killed a couple using one but my Dad was a master at getting them to come to it.
Might have to take that stroll down memory lane an cut a cane and give it a try this year.

I use one occasionally. I used to make them out of turkey wings. I always keep one in my pack. I made a couple out of the very first turkey I ever killed. I think they are pretty useful later in the season when the gobblers have been exposed to every call known to man. Maybe it's just a frequency they've never heard but I have called a few in using the ole wingbone.

Jeff

I do, some, made from a wing bone of a turkey I killed, and a box call I made. Sometimes I carry a slate call and a 1 finger push box, that makes nice purr sounds. I can make a diaphram work but it tickles the roof of my mouth....Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back