• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tuning up for a match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built an 8 inch diameter swinging disk take down target on Sunday to take to the range and start to get in shooting form for the upcoming Territorial match next month.
I decide to take five of my much neglected cartridge hand guns to get more practice in actual shooting.
I wanted to shoot until tired and then learn to press on for continued accuracy while in this often found state in a long muzzle loading match.
It was interesting to shoot quite well the first hour or so with calibers from .22 to .45 Colt in the mix. I'd guess I was in the 90-95 percent hit on the disk at 25 yards the first hour but then begin to throw shots with fatigue setting in.
Now things got interesting as I began to appraise what was physically occurring with the fundamentals required for accuracy.
The first was arm tremble which could be controlled with rest between shots, breathing deeply and drinking water.
Eye focus was also helped by the same prescription.
One other gremlin noticed was the tendency to try to grab the shot as the sights wondered around rather than taking up trigger slack as one does when fresh and breaking the shot with pressure rather than a jerk.
It seemed that after a bit of wild shooting throwing some shots after the fatigue set in that some refocus, rest and hydration caused the accuracy to return.
It was a good night out there by myself doing an honest self appraisal and re-acquiring some accuracy after getting tired.

Back