• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tuning & Repairing BP Revolvers, How To....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic shooter

Decades of bringing worthy orig. ML back to life
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen so many questions from forum members concerning how to repair or improve their BP revolvers.
In my opinion Blackies numerous Utube website videos does a much better job in 'showing' how to do it than most of us can in words.
PERCUSSION REVOLVER SERIES YOUR QUESTIONS - YouTube.html

I've seen so many questions from forum members concerning how to repair or improve their BP revolvers.
In my opinion Blackies numerous Utube website videos does a much better job in 'showing' how to do it than most of us can in words.
PERCUSSION REVOLVER SERIES YOUR QUESTIONS - YouTube.html
Yeah, I've watched several of his videos and was favorably impressed with quite a bit of the stuff he shows how to do !

Well I've seen his videos from time to time over the years- so here's a "heads up", he thinks open-top Colt type platforms should have 4 clicks instead of 3, seats the wedge with his thumb (so apparently doesn't know about the arbor situation). I'd say he's better than most but as I just pointed out, I don't think he's quite up to speed.

Mike

Well I've seen his videos from time to time over the years- so here's a "heads up", he thinks open-top Colt type platforms should have 4 clicks instead of 3, seats the wedge with his thumb (so apparently doesn't know about the arbor situation). I'd say he's better than most but as I just pointed out, I don't think he's quite up to speed.

Mike
Maybe I'm just an old guy that hasn't swallowed the entitlement cool aide but I don't think it's polite to criticize people like Blackie just because they haven't provided solutions for all of your problems for free :dunno:

Maybe I'm just an old guy that hasn't swallowed the entitlement cool aide but I don't think it's polite to criticize people like Blackie just because they haven't provided solutions for all of your problems for free :dunno:

Oh I see, I'm not "entitled" to MY opinion of what Blackie promotes in his videos . . . unless you agree with it. That's quite alright with me sir but when someone is detailing just the basics ( which in this case deals with "timing"), and I point out he's "wrong" to the good folks here that might follow his "instruction" (along with a couple other "infringements of how things "should be") , it seems to me that pointing out his discrepancies would be a "good" thing.
I guess I'm the "ignorant" one in this case because I absolutely have no idea what "problems" you're pointing out. Can you enlighten me ?

Mike

Blackie says the brass alloy used in the new production Pietta brass frame revolvers is the same alloy Henry uses in their rifle receivers.

The older brassers from 20+ years ago are apparently softer and gave the guns a bad rep for stretching.

Is this true? I don't know, I'll continue to blow 20 gr charges of Pyrodex and 777 through my collection of Brasser navies and see if they stay tight

As with all advice on the internet, you have to consider it using you best common sense instincts and selectively pick what you want to use. Sometimes within posts that are 90% BS I still find something that I can use. Thanks to all that are out there trying to help.

Mike
It is a good starting point. I don't really know why the arbor thing is confusing to people. It needs to bottom out at the correct depth and be held firmly! I mean that is half the freaking gun! I didn't know jack squat about Colt open tops a month ago and instantly noticed the arbor issue just taking the pistol apart thinking "this ain't right"....

A lot of these youtube and blogs have truths and half truths to them. Many have some good and some bad. Kind of reminds me of going to school.....lol

It is a good starting point. I don't really know why the arbor thing is confusing to people. It needs to bottom out at the correct depth and be held firmly! I mean that is half the freaking gun! I didn't know jack squat about Colt open tops a month ago and instantly noticed the arbor issue just taking the pistol apart thinking "this ain't right"....

A lot of these youtube and blogs have truths and half truths to them. Many have some good and some bad. Kind of reminds me of going to school.....lol
Agreed, not all forum or utube tuning tips are good to follow..
However you cant go wrong by following revolver tuning tips by Nelson Pettifoger 'IF' you have appropriate mechanical skills & tools to do the job.
relic shooter

Oh I see, I'm not "entitled" to MY opinion of what Blackie promotes in his videos . . . unless you agree with it. That's quite alright with me sir but when someone is detailing just the basics ( which in this case deals with "timing"), and I point out he's "wrong" to the good folks here that might follow his "instruction" (along with a couple other "infringements of how things "should be") , it seems to me that pointing out his discrepancies would be a "good" thing.
I guess I'm the "ignorant" one in this case because I absolutely have no idea what "problems" you're pointing out. Can you enlighten me ?

Mike
45D I agree. listen to a pro. So far close to 1000 rounds with out a cap jam on that pair is proof.

Blackie is an absolute authority on woodscrafts and I have been following him for years. However on black powder revolvers not so much. Mike however has made a successful business of tuning the replica revolvers to the nth degree for several years. He was not being rude but only trying to caution inexperienced shooters.

Just don't "tune" a perfectly functional gun into a paperweight

Companies that sell spare parts love a Kitchen Table gunsmith though, because 50% of their parts are probably sold to people who watched YouTube vidoes on slicking guns up

Fellow skilled forum members please accept my apologies in respect to my revolver tuning comments.
My goal as a life-long antique arms collector, gunsmith, vendor , rendevouer, hunter & competitor has always been
to grow our historical sport by helping others overcome mechanical firearm issues.
After five plus decades of experience in this arena I continue to learn new valuable tuning & building tips from various sources on the internet
& especially from members on this forum.
relic shooter

Fellow skilled forum members please accept my apologies in respect to my revolver tuning comments.
My goal as a life-long antique arms collector, gunsmith, vendor , rendevouer, hunter & competitor has always been
to grow our historical sport by helping others overcome mechanical firearm issues.
After five plus decades of experience in this arena I continue to learn new valuable tuning & building tips from various sources on the internet
& especially from members on this forum.
relic shooter
when anyone recommends files or Dremel tool I shudder. As long as I have been fooling with guns I seldom use a file on anything and have a restricted learners permit for Dremel tools. Mostly used with a soft Cratex wheels for polishing.
Respectfully
Bunk

I've watched Blackie's entire series on percussion revolvers (probably 150+ videos) and in fact it's what got me into black powder so I credit him for that. It's fun to hear him talk about these old guns and I like his southern accent. Maybe not everything he says is 100% accurate but he does know a lot. Most importantly, he never does or recommends anything unsafe. Mostly he shares what he knows about the history, how he makes small modifications, antiques some of them, cleaning, breakdowns, etc... I've never heard him claim to be a gunsmith or expert or anything like that. As far as using files or a Dremel, I've only seen him use that to make small notches in a hammer. It's an informative series that is very helpful to new shooters, and in my opinion nothing he says will steer anyone wrong, get them hurt, or make them screw up their gun.

I've watched Blackie's entire series on percussion revolvers (probably 150+ videos) and in fact it's what got me into black powder so I credit him for that. It's fun to hear him talk about these old guns and I like his southern accent. Maybe not everything he says is 100% accurate but he does know a lot. Most importantly, he never does or recommends anything unsafe. Mostly he shares what he knows about the history, how he makes small modifications, antiques some of them, cleaning, breakdowns, etc... I've never heard him claim to be a gunsmith or expert or anything like that. As far as using files or a Dremel, I've only seen him use that to make small notches in a hammer. It's an informative series that is very helpful to new shooters, and in my opinion nothing he says will steer anyone wrong, get them hurt, or make them screw up their gun.
Please understand I have no ax to grind with Blackie.. I agree with a lot of his material and watch him from time to time.
He does a lot of shooting and working to improve his guns. Good for him.
I do disagree with using a file on anything but roughing out a part. Metal once gone is gone forever. My preference is stones to polish not remove.
Also Blackie is definitely from the South East area either Alabama , Georgia, or South Carolina. he has that
"Magnolia in his mouth "accent and I love it.
Respectfully
Bunk.

Please understand I have no ax to grind with Blackie.. I agree with a lot of his material and watch him from time to time.
He does a lot of shooting and working to improve his guns. Good for him.
I do disagree with using a file on anything but roughing out a part. Metal once gone is gone forever. My preference is stones to polish not remove.
Also Blackie is definitely from the South East area either Alabama , Georgia, or South Carolina. he has that
"Magnolia in his mouth "accent and I love it.
Respectfully
Bunk.
Yep, Alabama. And I wasn't directing anything at you personally, just addressing some of the comments I noticed in the thread. And I agree with you, no filing on my guns unless necessary and definitely no Dremel! Mostly I didn't want someone unfamiliar with him to think he was one of those YouTube idiots that would give someone dangerous advice.

Mike
Mike the original Gen1 Single actions and USFA guns spell "COLT" when cocked. The repops do not.
Respectfully
Bunk

Latest posts

Back