• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tumpline

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey
No
Political talk

Oh, sorry
My bad
I thought you said
Trumpline

Jim in La Luz
😎

Yesterday I hiked 7 miles while hunting, which for me is pretty far. Due to this thread I tried resting my unloaded gun across my shoulders with the strap as a tumpline. Is was a nice relief from my standard strap carry position, which over time puts my arm to sleep.

You will find a couple of different styles looking at originals......the majority are weft twinned with fine cordage......many are decorated with moose hair embroidery......truly spectacular. Most are of basswood or hemp cordage...the warp cords are very long(21 foot) and split for the last three foot on each end.

The reproduction I made is warp twined....I patterned it after an original that was undecorated. The warp cords were just braided out and then split into two braids. When you get thru weaving.....wet the hemp and pre stretch and run you hands down the cords.....they will compress and have a more finished look. Do yourself a favor & use hemp. The hemp will soften up an be ALOT more comfortable against your skin than jute...

Both methods are time consuming (the last weft twinned tumpline I made took around 40 hours to twine & twill weave the warp cords).....the warp twined method is a 20 hour endeavor.

Good luck with your project
David

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_154538303.jpg
    IMG_20210918_154538303.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210919_144044399.jpg
    IMG_20210919_144044399.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 23
This is an example of a weft twinned tumpline that I wove around 20 years ago.....you will notice the weft twinned method lends it's self to worked in patterns......kind of like tapestry twinning.

David

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_185830725.jpg
    IMG_20211213_185830725.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 35
A tumpline across my forehead ? ............That would put my sick old neck in the dispensary for sure. Have nothing but admiration for anyone able to reenact and carry a load w/ a tumpline.:)
They go above the forehead, but below the very crown of your head. Across the forehead put undo strain on your neck

There is a living history you tube series about a guy doing eighteenth century Scottish life.
In one video he uses why amounts to a trumpline. He binds his pack that’s wrapped in a blanket. Bend at the waist and hang his roll in front of him. The strap goes just below his armpits
Then he swings the roll over his head as he stands up. Nesting the roll high o his back but secured knapsack style
I haven’t tried it, but looks good.

They go above the forehead, but below the very crown of your head. Across the forehead put undo strain on your neck
As mentioned earlier, they work very well around the upper deltoid and across the upper chest. Once tried, it is not as restrictive of movement as one might think. I actually find it more comfortable than pack straps digging into my shoulders or sides of my neck.

Back