• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tumpline

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN F

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gonna be making a Najecki tumpline from hemp webbing soon . Have seen a bunch but think the split tail is the easiest to tie up by far . Can I see some pics of everyone’s and their experience

711AD66D-90F9-4473-B24A-A6C84E36B48C.jpeg
E318BE5C-40E6-4AFD-A3AE-B70D18CD1F6E.jpeg

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of responses. I wouldn't expect a huge amount, but, I know I've seen some nice woven tump lines or hopus straps on here before.
Mine is lame. Leather folded over the ends of a webbing strap and cordage through the Leather. It works though. I use it to carry a blanket and/or some extra clothing layers on cold weather hunts.

Oh, to be young again and strong....

Way back about 60 years, I hiked the Appalachian Trail through Virginia and Maryland. There were 5 of us, Boy Scouts all. I believe that two of us had conventional packs, which were nowhere near as spiffy as can be found now.
The other three, including me, took our hint from the fur trade guys who would portage as the painting shows. We three were usually much less tired than the backpack carriers each evening. Mostly we tried for 20 miles per day; some of the rougher (more vertical) stretches held us down to 8-10 miles per day.

A wonderful experience, one that I wish I could do again. But 76 seems to be way more than 60 years difference! Wars and work have plum worn me down!

I do keep a nifty backpack in my Acadia, with "get-home" stuff inside. Weighs all of 25 lb.

Way back about 60 years, I hiked the Appalachian Trail through Virginia and Maryland. There were 5 of us, Boy Scouts all. I believe that two of us had conventional packs, which were nowhere near as spiffy as can be found now.
The other three, including me, took our hint from the fur trade guys who would portage as the painting shows. We three were usually much less tired than the backpack carriers each evening. Mostly we tried for 20 miles per day; some of the rougher (more vertical) stretches held us down to 8-10 miles per day.

A wonderful experience, one that I wish I could do again. But 76 seems to be way more than 60 years difference! Wars and work have plum worn me down!

I do keep a nifty backpack in my Acadia, with "get-home" stuff inside. Weighs all of 25 lb.
Wildcat I’ve found the same thing. The tumpline on my Duluth pack makes portaging much easier compared to my non-tump toting companions. It all comes down to length adjustment and head placement, not on the forehead but just behind on the crown. Plus it’ll give you traps like a beast.

Wildcat I’ve found the same thing. The tumpline on my Duluth pack makes portaging much easier compared to my non-tump toting companions. It all comes down to length adjustment and head placement, not on the forehead but just behind on the crown. Plus it’ll give you traps like a beast.

Thanks for sharing those! Where did you find them? Looks like material I would like to read.

Yup, been there, done that for the Scout's 50 Miler Award 50+ years ago. Youth is truly wasted on the young 😅

Latest posts

Back