• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tulle fusil de chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Tulle smoothbore, and, in looking over several examples made by various makers, I am seeing some variation in how curved the buttstock is. Most have quite a curve downward, but some are quite a bit straighter. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on something that is not historically correct. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I have some thoughts. Locks are going to be difficult to find at the moment. TOW is on back order. Davis is out of production for the time being. That about leave us (you and me) with the Rifle Shoppe. I don't know their status.

As for stocks, there's Knob Mountain. They have two French stocks on their web page. I honestly see only a slight difference between the two. Muzzleloader Builders Supply I think has a French stock available. You may wish to inquire with them directly.

If you build it yourself, it appears to be a project that will run you just under a grand, depending on the grade and type of wood you want.
Hope this helps.

TRS is the St.Etienne model and not a Tulle {if it makes a difference to you).

If it helps you, the less curved ones are the earlier models as the 'pied de vache' or 'cow's foot' profile came later. The date is recorded in the book the Fusils of Tulle, by Rousel Bouchard, but I don't have it in front of me.

I can tell you that I am building a Tulle fusil de chasse to the 1729 contract requirements and it is the less curved stock design.

For some shooters, the cow's foot profile really whacks their cheek but good ... whilst shooting.

JohnN said:
TRS is the St.Etienne model and not a Tulle {if it makes a difference to you).
At the moment, not it doesn't matter to me. I'm still saving up my pennies. :grin: Who knows what changes may happen in a few more months?

Bought my Tulle 20 years ago. It was a mess. Replaced the barrel, lock and linseed the stock. Have shot deer, partridges, hare, and coyotes with it.it is my main weapon along with my longbow. My Tulle will flatten anything that roams this continent with a .60 ball. An awesom weapon.

The TOW kit says 30 days for the lock. I have the 44" barrel kit. Pecatonica also makes one.

Yeah, I know. The TOW website has listed the lock "Expected in 30 days" since at least before last Thanksgiving. I'm beginning to wonder. The gun slush fund is only about half way there, however. So I'll give it some more time. I just hope I don't lose my head, and a nice guitar crosses my path. I've been known to blow gun money on a new guitar. :youcrazy: Funny how guitars and muzzleloaders cost about the same, innit?

Oh....well....yeah I was thinking of TRS :redface: I ordered an M1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle lock from them about fifteen years ago by now I guess. Got it in fair time, and to my untrained eye, the castings looked pretty good. Never did build the rifle. Ended up trading the unfinished lock for a guitar amplifier. I think I've established a pattern here :youcrazy: Guitars, or Muzzleloaders? :hmm: Decisions, decisions, decisions..... :haha:

Their parts are fine, locks are good. A blind chimp with a butter knife could inlet barrels and RR channels better. And their customer service model leaves a bit to be desired more than anything.

Danny Caywood lists a French/ trade gun lock. I've seen onto. Its not bad. Once again, subject to availability.

And... a little bird told me that there are a few dozen TOW locks ready to be shipped. I will be happy then. Its an amazingly small world in some circles.

Latest posts

Back