• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tulle aka: Fusil De Chase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you feel about the French trade gun? Specifically the Stock design? I would think the flowing low butt of the French Fusil would be rough to shoot and a cheek buster. Am I wrong? All my experience has been with the English style trade gun, not all that pleasant to shoot with stout hunting loads.

I have a tulle and love it. can`t think of anything I would rather shoot.

I love my fusil. Pulls up fast on birds and is nice to shoot even with heavy loads.

I have a type c fusil and its a dream to shoot. I know it has a lot of drop some have 4" of drop but the butt has the curve and the comb isn't really low. The only thing that might feel odd would be the angle of the butt plate but its wide and oval.

Have been shooting a Centermark Tulle for 30plus years love it . It's a easy shooter and is my go to gun.

Thought the same until I shot one for the first time, shoulders great, points well and is a joy to shoot.

I have a gun with a stock like that. The only one like it I have. I find that if I shoot it like I would a modern rifle, it will smack you around. I have taken to shooting it with my head more straight or up-right. That puts my cheek more to the rear of the stock and no more Paciou- Punches.

I have a Caywood Wilson fusil, which although a generalized copy of of an English gun in T.M. Hamilton's book, has the profile of a French trade gun. I find it quite enjoyable to shoot.

I see some posting about the trade guns (C, etc.) And other's about the fusil de chasse. I don't know much about them, but looking at the examples in the Track catalog, the "trade guns" and fusil de chasse seem to have distinctly different butt designs. So, what are the handling and shooting characteristics of each? Are they as different as they look?

I have a Centermark Tule Fusil de Chase. I had the same concerns about the stock shape, but, as someone mentioned, the drop is on the bottom of the stock so the comb isn't really all that low. I find mine very comfortable to shoot. The only time I really notice the recoil is with full power turkey loadings fired from a tight sitting position.

It ain't a trade gun, but a hunting musket built for those who needed a gun in the colonies. Inferior rejects were often given to natives, though.

The gun definitely is not a cheek buster. The stock design basically rolls past your cheek under recoil. Probably the most pleasant gun I ever shot to include centerfire rifles.

Even though Tulle's have a distinctive profile quite unlike anything else, there are subtle differences to be found from maker to maker.
I have a CenterMark, and it's stock fits me better any of the others I have handled.

Mine is not a cheek-smacker at all with heavy loads, at least not on my face.

I have taken to shooting it with my head more straight or up-right

That is how we should all shoot all the time! Keeps the gears in your ears as they should be and allows for much better shooting especially on running game, head up and both eyes open.

the general lines were popular with many french guns, even the earlier charlies for the military. Likewise the stock design was seen on some penn rifle designs.Many of the english and dutch trade guns were made to imitate the french style. No one built something for long that would hurt or even just be unplesent to shoot. I flat enjoy my center mark tulle....yes I know its not a perfect tulle, but I like it.

Completely agree, the idea that the french lines somehow are inferior is likely the product of those trying to squeeze a fusil into a stock blank cut for a straighter pattern. Flipping thru Torsten's book we see that the most expensive flintlocks ever produced for the most discerning customers shared stock lines with the trade fusils we like over here.

I got a neck like a turkey so I might be more sensitive to it then those built differently but first time I shot with high scope mounts and the first time I shouldered a tulle I had the same feeling "ah that fits better"

My initial impression of the humpy-looking stock configuration was an image of the hyena fleeing a pursuing lion. Kinda homely. The true beauty lies within actually shouldering one - your eye automatically aligns low along the barrel. This would be an asset in better shooting with modern shotguns. Alas it's not sexy looking, even though French in origin. It's also proof that a proper design, from no matter how long ago has no equal to more modern designs.

I'm amidst building 2 fusils, with one being the India Fusil I recently received from Loyalist. It needs some wood work for better fit and streamlined appearance, and already points better than my British Fusil with the straight Bess-style stock.

Back