• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TSS shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a TC Renegade SB, .56 cal. Considering TSS shot to maybe get a little better performance than what I currently have using lead shot. #9 seems to be the general consensus (at least for turkeys). Any other thoughts or experiences for those that use TSS? Thanks.

TSS shot is made from tungsten and is very hard. Without a proper tungsten rated plastic wad you will damage your bore.

If you want to load non-toxic shot as traditionally as possible I suggest you look at bismuth shot from rotometals.com, but bismuth is a little less dense than lead so you won’t gain any performance benefit.

https://www.rotometals.com/bismuth-shot/

I use TSS in a modern shotgun in #9 shot. Awesome patterns and hits like #5 lead.

You would have use a shot cup made for TSS. That may be tough unless you could use a 28 gauge wad.

I have a good supply of 28 gauge plastic wad/shot cups if you want some I I could ship you some for the cost of postage.

How are you loading this .56 smoothbore for turkey, how much shot, and how much powder. I just looked at a .56 T/C smoothbore at a hole in the wall gun shop today, used but with a good bore. I wonder?

How are you loading this .56 smoothbore for turkey, how much shot, and how much powder. I just looked at a .56 T/C smoothbore at a hole in the wall gun shop today, used but with a good bore. I wonder?

I don't have a good turkey load for it, one of the reasons i was considering TSS. Now I haven't messed a lot with it, just starting to experiment more with it.

There are guys on here with much more experience than I to help you with loads.

Adkarcher, I got your p.m. and will try to find them tomorow, I haven't used them for over twenty years, since I went to paper shot cartridges. But I know they are somewhere in the shop.

Sir, I have shot alot of TSS at waterfowl over the years and #9 was fantastic in my 28 ga O/U. I used a 1 oz load at 1200 FPS. Here are the wads I used because they held the payload without alot of filler wads. Just make sure you have a woolfelt or hard card wad under the shot cup and a light but sturdy over shot card. I use leather in all my shotguns and lubed wool felt wads. Leather over the powder, then lubed wool felt, then shot then another lubed wool felt to seal the shot and bore.
Precision Reloading and Ballistic Products are good places to start.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=TUW&i=G3828
George.

I thought of this post earlier. Saw someone post a pic of their smoothbore 20 gauge in the Virginia Turkey Hunters Facebook group. No information outside of them using TSS. I stole the pic to post here…

Attachments

• 3C71C106-EC80-4251-B757-7080A521A820.jpeg
    3C71C106-EC80-4251-B757-7080A521A820.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 34
I have some shot caps coming, will get some TSS to try. I am also going to try the load recipe (Skychief's I think?) on this forum to see what that does as well.

Back