• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trying to make a peep sight, should be easy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my home made and one made from an old dog lic. just to try
DSC03160.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03164 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03164 - Copy.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03186.JPG
    DSC03186.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC03149.JPG
    DSC03149.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 74
A little further along, more shaping, sanding and browning and I will be done. I was shooting a modern rifle and put this rifle with the peep on my shooting bench to check the alignment when I sighted in on an orange spot. I needed to lower the peep aperture a hair for my sights to line up. A little adjustment (bending) and everything appear to be OK.
peep filed.JPG

Just to compare

Attachments

• DSC02918.JPG
    DSC02918.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02921.JPG
    DSC02921.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC02931.JPG
    DSC02931.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 71
Eric - your peep sight is nice and you can get fancy with a file to "dress" it up but if it was me I'd use much thinner material (as you already know). To keep it from moving around I would drill for a dowel pin for alignment and use the tang screw for the clamping force. This way you can remove the sight if needed and it will go back to it's sight-in position. I would use this method for hunting but for target shooting where legal I would add a screw in aperture. That thick sight of yours could be the start of one NICE peep sight :thumb: .

I called it quits on this one and started another, I now know what to do and what not to do. One thing; don't try to drill and countersink the peep hole after you bend the metal, getting everything centered is all but impossible.

I had trouble getting this one to rust but then realized I had used a lot of tapping oil while I was drilling and countersinking and forgot to wipe it down with any cleaner prior to rusting. I am not quite done rusting and carding this one.

This sight will work well on my beat up rifle.

peep rusted.JPG

Following.
I use an EyePal & swear by it. I'm nearsighted, but cataracts make a memory of clear sight pictures. EyePal sharpens the sights enough for me to shoot respectably.

These are all interesting; I've played with making a peep sight, but do not want to drill or cut another dovetail until I've rigged & tried one. You've given me several ideas. Thanks.
I have tried some of the things mentioned. I had my cataracts removed four years ago. That helped a lot. I can see better now than I ever have. I still like peep sights, Lyman, and still use the eyepal, merrit ect with open sights.

Back