• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trying to Identify this 1860 Army.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not aware of any recent production of stainless steel 1860 Army revolvers. I have several from older production and the frames are usually magnetic and cold blue has no effect on them. My guess is either yours missed the case color bath or the color was removed by someone.
1851ssa.jpg

A magnet may tell if its stainless or not?

True, but some high-carbon stainless alloys will allow a magnet to stick, though not as strongly as high-carbon steel will.
For example, I have several Smith & Wesson unmentionable revolvers that are stainless. A magnet will lightly pull on one or two of them, but not the others.

The stainless steels that are not magnetic are called "austenitic stainless". Although they contain iron, their grain makeup does not allow them to be hardened by thermal processes. They are a part of the 300 Series Stainless steels. 302 or 303 stainless are examples of these and are used for making kitchen sinks and decorative items.

The stainless steels that are magnetic are called "martensitic stainless". They can be heat treated to harden them and are usually in the 400 series stainless steels. 440 is a common martensitic stainless often used for making knife blades.

Now, back to the 1860 Army. :)

Zonie is totally correct in what he says.

I like the look of the OP gun and to me looks like it was done by the factory or a very good gunsmith. I would call the seller and talk with them also show them a picture of the gun and see what they have to say :thumb: All in all I think the OP has a very nice revolver.

Modern replicas aren't case-hardened, they're colored to look like case-hardening. Simply a wash of bluing solution over bright steel. Someone here merely took the coloring off the same way you'd take the bluing off: a vinegar bath.

BTW: The 'CS' marking inside that square on the frame indicates the gun was proofed in 2017. It is possible for a gun to be made late in one year and proofed early in the next: two of my latest guns are like that.
Hence the descriptor ‘color case hardened’ finish

Back