• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to Identify this 1860 Army.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman0125

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Uberti Cimarron 1860 Army .44 that I can’t identify. The production stamp suggests it was made in 2019. However, I have not found one on the internet made like this one. Either this was made as a stainless frame with a blued upper, or they forgot to do the chemical case hardening process on this one. I have only seen a Pietta made in this style, but not an Uberti. Just wondering if this is common.
19191222-1123-4E3F-8D01-71BE7AA4A076.jpeg

I bought it new from gun broker. At least listed as new. I’ve never fired it. It has no traces of being case hardened. Looks like stainless steel.

I have never seen one made like this from Uberti. I did find one picture from Pietta. Cimarron is one of Uberti’s signature lines of reproduction weapons. I was just curious if this is a limited edition, or has been altered. It is definitely unique, however I prefer the case hardened ones over the stainless look. I love the variation in colors in the metal.

This is the only picture I found online that resembles mine. This is a Pietta, what appears to be an unfinished kit. Also notice that the loader is case hardened in this photo. Mine is not and appears to be stainless. On my gun, it is almost as if it was made as a stainless version and someone simply swapped the cylinder and barrel assembly with blued parts. But then the numbers would not match. I’d like to know the year of manufacture at least.
1EB4404C-6F8E-4012-825D-80C763E4602B.png

Last edited:
It is magnetic. I think I found the date code to be 2016 if I’m reading it right. The box says CA but the weapon is marked CP.

Prolly just polished steel. Color "case hardening" is often just thin chemical finish that polish's off, Still looks good but may tarnish over time especially with BP residue on fingers and such. Blue or browning might be interesting.

I know that bluing can be removed with vinegar but not sure about case hardening even if done chemically. It is polished to a shiny finish that looks factory done. No visible marks from buffing or bluing visible around crevices or edges. It is definitely different, but I would like to know for sure if it was done by Uberti or by an individual. Thought maybe someone might have run across one like this somewhere. I like for them to look period correct, so I don’t want to be “that guy” who shows up with the gold electro-plated Pearl handled engraved Lincoln Commemorative issue 1860 Colt Army at a reenactment somewhere. Lol.

Wolfman0125,

If you register as a member of the CAS City forum, you should find another member there who posts as "Abilene." He was a Cimarron employee for a number of years, and I think he may have been directly responsible for some of their custom finish work. In any event, he is very knowledgeable with regard to Cimarron firearms.

I would agree with you in that I prefer the look of the case-hardened frame with the blued barrel and cylinder, or a uniform patina finish. The "two-tone" look doesn't appeal to me. However, it is an interesting revolver, and there have always been a few oddballs. Elmer Keith once owned a factory copper-plated Colt SAA unmentionable revolver.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Sorry that one looks like a CC frame and a blued barrel. The finish on the OPs does look factory. If not stainless may have a clear coat of some kind. Also may be a "one-off" for market test. Given its nice appearance maybe worth more as is? The thought occurred that maybe it was to be engraved and never made it?

CIP is the stamp of the international standards association - Commission internationale permanente pour l'épreuve des armes à feu portatives. You'll need to look it up to see what membership entails, but the USA is not a member, having no National/Federal Proof House or houses, nor anything like them. There are currently fourteen member states, and guns made outside their remit must be Proofed before they can be sold within it.

The associated stamp PN stands for polvere nero - black powder.

The date stamps on the gun are very odd, as CS in a cartouche is the date stamp for the year 2030 - not yet, though.

The tiny coat of arms shield represents the arms of the city of Gardone Val Trompia in Brescia, location of the Italian National Proof House. It has been the home of Italian gun and arms-making since the Middle Ages.

Last edited:
Modern replicas aren't case-hardened, they're colored to look like case-hardening. Simply a wash of bluing solution over bright steel. Someone here merely took the coloring off the same way you'd take the bluing off: a vinegar bath.

BTW: The 'CS' marking inside that square on the frame indicates the gun was proofed in 2017. It is possible for a gun to be made late in one year and proofed early in the next: two of my latest guns are like that.

Last edited:
Back