• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

trying to identify some dueling pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffbrorick

32 Cal
Reaction score
My Grandfather was born in 1885. He inherited two flintlock dueling pistols at birth. The story he told my Mother is that his uncle was a guard in a castle in England. He left these pistols to my Grandfather. On the top of the barrels the word "Dublin" is engraved. The word " Holland" is engraved on the right side of each pistol. I have attached a few pics.

I have no interest in selling these. I would just like to see if anyone can identify the manufacturer or the time frame of when they were made.

Attachments

• 20211126_145236.jpg
    20211126_145236.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20211126_145615.jpg
    20211126_145615.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 20211126_145623.jpg
    20211126_145623.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 139
Very nice but would call those coat pocket pistols, dueling pistols were generally longer. I'm guessing but they appear to have a safety of some sort on the rear of the lock

Very nice but would call those coat pocket pistols, dueling pistols were generally longer. I'm guessing but they appear to have a safety of some sort on the rear of the lock
thanks for that. i have not heard that term before. Yes there is a safety on it. I need to get out my caliper and see what caliber it is.

Those were probably the pistols your great grand uncle walked his beat with. Pretty cool. Certainly not an issue weapon I wager. No military marks on it. So he probably bought them to supplement what ever service weapon he carried in the line of duty.

Those were probably the pistols your great grand uncle walked his beat with. Pretty cool. Certainly not an issue weapon I wager. No military marks on it. So he probably bought them to supplement what ever service weapon he carried in the line of duty.
Passed-down stories like this cannot often be proven. Who knows where or when someone obtained them? Nice items, to be sure, but they could have been won in a card game for all anyone knows. They certainly did not use dueling pistols to arm "guards".

Passed-down stories like this cannot often be proven. Who knows where or when someone obtained them? Nice items, to be sure, but they could have been won in a card game for all anyone knows. They certainly did not use dueling pistols to arm "guards".
true
this is why my speculation as to a personal purchase to supplement issue arms

As for the providence of the gun, one doesn't typically inherit an uncles poker winnings at birth. There is likely a story lost of why these guns were important enough to grant such property as a birthright to the posters grandfather.

Regardless they are really neat guns. Old pistols are cool.

Hi,
They are nice pocket or over coat pistols from the first quarter of the 19th century. The safety bolts are used at half cock. They are not top quality pistols but very well made.

dave

Back