• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to identify my new cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am already leaning towards this being a replica for several reasons. Lots or ornate extras I would not expect on a military cannon, some hex bolts and some square, and small diameter barrel with no rifling.

I have been looking at cannons on google every night and I have yet to see one with these wheels on the train like this one. I would not think they would be very practical in the field (another reason I think its a replica)

Has anyone seen a cannon with similar wheels on the train like this. Thanks
83073384_799344070477136_1353199299952902144_n.jpg

Some of that stuff on the carriage could have been added at a later date. The hex bolts and nuts certainly are not original. Any markings on the tube or trunions indicating weight or date?

Some of that stuff on the carriage could have been added at a later date. The hex bolts and nuts certainly are not original. Any markings on the tube or trunions indicating weight or date?
No markings on barrel. I have determined the barrel is covered with metal and has concrete in middle. This was new to me.

Drilling out the concrete will be fun. That ought to tell you it was on public display somewhere, and probably is an original. If you're planning on shooting it, it might not be a bad idea to line it with some DOM tubing. Get it x-rayed or magna fluxed. It's not like you NEED the full caliber size to lay siege to someplace----or do you?

What is the barrel material, iron or bronze? Hard to tell for sure in the pic? Concrete is about the worst thing that can be put in a cannon barrel, right after over charging..

I've seen those kinds of wheels on Eastern cannons; specifically in Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

Also, based on the floral pattern on some of the bolt ends, I would say Spain. As in, Spanish-American War bring back gun. Bore reduced to fire signals.

Back