• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trying to Identify Maker of 1863 Springfield repro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sometime back I picked up a replica 1863 Springfield .58 cal. I'm mostly a flintlock shooter and after a single trip to the range the capgun got hung on the rack and that's where it remained except for a periodic wipedown with an oily rag and and an oily patch down the bore. This morning my foggy old brain took note of an oddity. The rifling depth at the muzzle is very shallow and gets deeper the further down the bore you go. In other words, tapered rifling. I've never seen that on a repro. I'm hoping someone can solve the mystery of who made this rifle. The lock is marked Amoskeag Manf. Co. with Manchester, NH under it and 1863 on the tail. No other makers mark (Zoli,etc) and no "black powder only" warning. Any ideas, folks?
John
20210918_145303.jpg
20210918_145303.jpg
20210918_145213.jpg

I think I’d pull the barrel looking for more proofs (look ALL over, each metal piece, plus look for cartouches on the stock too [typically opposite the lock side, just down from the breech to the rear]) and/or maker’s mark, or find an local expert (then get a 2nd ‘independent’ opinion)… as you may have a ‘real’ one there, not that of a repro.

This is what I found:

"Amoskeag Special Model 1861 Springfield Contract Rifle 1863 .58-cal Percussion Musket

The Springfield Model 1861 was a Minié-type rifled musket shoulder-arm used by the United States Army during the Civil War, favored for its range, accuracy, and reliability. This model is in fact a "Special" model, which incorporates a lot of changes made by Colt, including the flat Eagle-marked cap bolster, and the contoured hammer.

The Springfield rifles cost $20 each at the Springfield Armory where they were officially made. Overwhelmed by the demand, the armory opened its weapons patterns up to twenty private contractors, including Amoskeag Manufacturing Company of Manchester New Hampshire,
which manufactured around 27,000 rifle-muskets under contract from 1863-64."

As your 1st response, I hereby 'hosey' 1st dibs, if I can buy it, LOL! Now there is a Colt 1861 Special that is a repro, in a shop near me, I'll check that one for any visible proofs.

Last edited:
I think I’d pull the barrel looking for more proofs (look ALL over, each metal piece, plus look for cartouches on the stock too [typically opposite the lock side, just down from the breech to the rear]) and/or maker’s mark, or find an local expert (then get a 2nd ‘independent’ opinion)… as you may have a ‘real’ one there, not that of a repro.

This is what I found:

"Amoskeag Special Model 1861 Springfield Contract Rifle 1863 .58-cal Percussion Musket

The Springfield Model 1861 was a Minié-type rifled musket shoulder-arm used by the United States Army during the Civil War, favored for its range, accuracy, and reliability. This model is in fact a "Special" model, which incorporates a lot of changes made by Colt, including the flat Eagle-marked cap bolster, and the contoured hammer.

The Springfield rifles cost $20 each at the Springfield Armory where they were officially made. Overwhelmed by the demand, the armory opened its weapons patterns up to twenty private contractors, including Amoskeag Manufacturing Company of Manchester New Hampshire,

As your 1st response, I hereby 'hosey' 1st dibs, if I can buy it, LOL! Now there is a Colt 1861 Special that is a repro, in a shop near me, I'll check that one for any visible proofs.
There was one of the Colt repros at a shop near me couple months back. Went for a grand, w/ sling and repro ctg. box. I think I read there was initial issue of this repro, then some were put together from leftover parts. The guy behind the Colt branded repro revolvers is now the guy behind Henry Arms, I believe.

This is what I found:

People will be curious as to what you find out. The metal just simply seems too shiny to be 160 years old. Really nice!

I'll strip it down this evening or tomorrow and photo any markings. Thanks for your responses. Given that I'm currently looking for a left-handed Fusil de Chasse or maybe a lefty Jaeger the Springfield may go up for sale or trade. I also have 4,500 winged musket caps than could go with it.
John

It was sold by Chattahoochee Black Powder Supply (at least the first word is correct, not sure about the rest) who has been out of business for many years now. I'm sure they were made in Italy and they are identical to the Colt 1861 Special Models that were available long ago except for the lock markings.

Flint62Smoothie gave you some good info and these guns were closer to an Enfield than a Springfield in many respects. Not to be confused with the 1861 or 1863 Springfields though the '63 incorporated some of this model's features.

Hawkeye is correct. These were imported by Chattahoochie Arms and made by Chiappa (Armi Sport). Chiappa made the parts for the Colt 1861 Special Signature series musket in the early 90s. When Colt discontinued it, Chattahoochie contracted with Chiappa to continue production but with Amoskeag and LG&Y lock markings. LG&Ys are a bit scarcer. They were not built with progrssive depth rifling. If yours has it, the bore probably has been relined.

Here's what I found. Many thanks to Hawkeye and Eras Gone. I have no doubt that this is a Chattahoochee replica. It definitely has progressive depth rifling but no visible evidence of a liner. There are no cartouche or other marks on the wood. Each barrel band is stamped with a "U". There is a proof mark on the left rear of the barrel. "V" over "P" over something unreadable. "U.S." on the buttplate. Small "R" on tang behind the screw. Interior of lock is beautifully polished but lacking any markings. This explains the crisp trigger pull. Considering that I have about 4,900 winged musket caps and a minie ball mould, this rifle may deserve more trips to the range.

Attachments

• 20220518_134529.jpg
    20220518_134529.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220518_134606.jpg
    20220518_134606.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220518_135255.jpg
    20220518_135255.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220518_140525.jpg
    20220518_140525.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 39
If you can proove it has progressive depth rifling it would be of interest to NSSA shooters and will fetch a couple of hundred more than a standard bore. If the lock has been tuned I suspect this gun was previously owned by a NSSA shooter. Measure the bore. You will need a bullet that is only 1 or 2 thousands under bore diameter to get maximum accuracy. Both of the two main barrel makers/reliners typically make their bores at a true .577 instead of .580. This is because there are more bullet choices available (or that can be sized down) to get that magic 1 or 2 thousands under.

If the Colt/Chiappa repro didn’t originally have those proof marks, maybe it was sent to Lodgewood or Zimmerman for a “defarb” where those were added?

The groove depth at the muzzle mics .585". The mould is a Rapine that is marked 580315 and casts a .580" minie. The minie fits perfectly at the muzzle and thumb starts easily. Using the ramrod to seat the minie requires progressively greater force indicating progressive rifling. I'm betting the barrel and mould are a matched set. Once again, thank you to all contributed to my search. To those who expressed interest in purchasing or trading, I'm going to open a listing in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Attachments

• 20220520_133345.jpg
    20220520_133345.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220520_132848.jpg
    20220520_132848.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 15
Why is it that posters insist on putting photos upside down for us to look at and try and identify?

View attachment 140013
The wrist area of the stock seems awfully short for an original.
At first I thought it might be an original, but now I think not.
Could be a mix of original and replica parts.
Could even have been an Italian repro barrel relined by Bobby Hoyt to get the original type rifling it now has.

Back