• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trying to find info on a specific flintlock....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrat

40 Cal
Reaction score
Looking for info & where I can find pictures of a flintlock design. They look very small, narrow and petite but are not miniature rifles. The neck of the hand grip is wider than it is deep. Reminds me of a duck bill. What region are they from, etc. Thanks for any info...................Labrat

something like this?
20211129_121523 (2).jpg
or this?
smr 3 k (1).jpg

The one's I saw had a definite crease line on the sides of the grip from the lock to about 1/3rd of the stock. Very flat looking on the top & bottom of the grip area.....

That's it..Thanks Pathfinder. I can now google and see if I can get the history & location of the builders. I wonder if this design is only from the Tennessee area or used elsewhere .......Labrat
That pic is from Pecatonica River web site. I had a rifle of that style built by Ron Erlich and it held well and had great balance. Those wide hand grips are very comfortable and strong I think. Glad I could help!

Here's a photo of my SMR poorboy made by a fine old gentleman here in Missouri who has since passed "Davey Beech". When I had him make this for me I requested two barrels for the rifle one in .32 and another in .45. Basically a squirrel and deer rifle in one.
IMGP0020.JPG
IMGP0021.JPG

Thank You Dave that was one of the pictures I've seen before and fell in love with it's design & small stature. In my opinion the look & design really sets this rifle apart. I'm thinking of adding one to hang with my Kibler colonial.......Andy I like it on the poor boy especially a two barrel combo. I guess this stock design can be added to fit multiple rifles...........Labrat

Hi,
Go buy the Kentucky Rifle Foundation's CD for Lehigh Valley Vol1 Issue 3. KRF has a website and online sales. Lehighs are very difficult to get right and when done wrong are horrible. Searching online will yield lots of pictures of badly done contemporary Lehighs and a few really good ones. Visit Allen Martin's website. He is probably the best contemporary maker of these rifles. Eric von Aschwege also does an excellent job and he has a website as well.

dave

Thank You Dave that was one of the pictures I've seen before and fell in love with it's design & small stature. In my opinion the look & design really sets this rifle apart. I'm thinking of adding one to hang with my Kibler colonial.......Andy I like it on the poor boy especially a two barrel combo. I guess this stock design can be added to fit multiple rifles...........Labrat
Both barrels are Green Mountain, both the same across the flats and have the same tangs. It's just a matter of pulling the pins and changing the barrels.

Thanks Dave.. Allen Martin has some beautiful Lehigh Valley rifles. I especially like the Schimmel rifle with no bells or whistles which would look nice with my Kibler. I would not consider doing a self build kit on this one. No more wood work or carving, had enough! I'll look around for a used one or maybe give you a call for a custom build...............Labrat

FWIW. Kibler's SMR is very, very close to the one from Pecatonica posted above. If you've already got the Colonial, you might as well get the other one!

I thought about modifying the Kibler SMR stock but it doesn't look like it can be done correctly. Just looked at the Hatfield rifles and they also have the design I'm looking for..............Labrat

Thanks Dave.. Allen Martin has some beautiful Lehigh Valley rifles. I especially like the Schimmel rifle with no bells or whistles which would look nice with my Kibler. I would not consider doing a self build kit on this one. No more wood work or carving, had enough! I'll look around for a used one or maybe give you a call for a custom build...............Labrat
I salute you on giving up the self-building! :oops: :p I am very good with my hands, but I am no smith and have resolved, as most of our forebears did, to let professionals do their work and earn their keep off the labor of my hands in the form of cash for their products! I'm a jobbing troubleshooter, but I ain't no craftsman. Thankfully, I can pay others for their lifetime of cultivated skill. Hats off to those who can, but this fella is not a carpenter, stocker,smith, or artisan.

Yes I do know my limitations and am thankful for those that have mastered these skills and we are able to contract there services. I'm always in awe at their skill levels and if you want something done right look for the professional tradesmen..........Labrat

Back