• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to find a Whithworth rifle barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi .
I am new to this forum . only found it a few days ago .This is my first poston here . (actually
my second)
This is somewhat of a repeat of a post i put on
the flintlock page . After thinking about it maybe this is a better place to post this question.
I want to build a Whithworth barreled rifle ,
but in flintlock version so i can us it in the
Pa. hunting season . But i haven't found any source for a Whithwort barrel .
I have built two flint versions of English Sporting rifles with Forsythe rifled barels .
A 7-3/4 lb .62cal. that gets 1800 fps with 340
gr. ball and 200gr.2f
And a 9 lb. .72 cal that gets 1700 fps with a 500gr. ball and 260 gr of 2f.
I thought i would like to build a "small-bore"
rifle for a change .
Thanks in advance . Joe.

You might try talking to John at October Country. He makes dif rifles & has special barrels made so possibly he can help. Also you mihgt try Rice Barrel Co. as Mr. Rice told me at Friendship he could cut any type rifling I wanted.

I can't help you with the barrel but welcome to the forum.
Keep an eye on your post as we have over 400 members and some of them look in only every once and a while.

Again, a big Welcome to you.

quote:Originally posted by Joe / N.E. Pa.:
I want to build a Whithworth barreled rifle ,
but in flintlock version so i can us it in the
Pa. hunting season . But i haven't found any source for a Whithwort barrel.
Welcome Joe:
Here is a clip from a barrel maker's web page that might fill your needs...

"Classic barrel types may also be produced for a full range of muzzle loading and black powder arms. Tooling is available to produce .451 to .577 calibres in 3 groove 1853 Enfield pattern, 5 groove 1861/1858 Enfield plus the 8 groove Enfield Volunteer format. Included are Whitworth hexagonal form, Metford and Martini Henry 7 groove rifling in addition to smooth bored types."

Here is their link...
http://www.armalon.com/barrels.shtml

Once you get a barrel, where are you going to get bullets?

Musketman .

Ross Seyfried did a write up on the Navy Arms
Whitworth rifle . with the hex bore If i remember correctly . Navy sujpplies a mold made by Lyman .OR at least tells you which Lyman mould to use .
It cast a round bullet . but it guess it is a snug fit in the bore , and it upsets enough upon
firing to actually form itself to the rifling .
If he wasn't lying about the accuracy of the
Navy arms rifle , it shot extremely well with
this bullet ....
By the way , it was an article by Ross Seyfried
about an original 69 cal . English Sporting rifle
that got me interested in building my rifles .
Here in Pa . you were only allowed to use round
ball ,( untill a few years ago) and i wanted something heavier than a 50 or 54 round ball .
Way back in the early 70s for a few years you
could use maxi-balls .etc . and i liked the penetration better , always got a good blood trail . Then they changed to rules to patched
round ball only .
Before anybody starts on me about how much power you actually need let me say that i have
shot most of my deer with a custom built 45ca.
42inch barrel flint longrifle . shooting roundball . And the last three were shot at
100 + yards and went less that 100 yards after
being hit . Joe .
I'm not a real serious muzzleloader , don't go to matches or anything like that , but i have been playing with them for 30 years ....

quote:Originally posted by Joe / N.E. Pa.:
Before anybody starts on me about how much power you actually need let me say that i have
shot most of my deer with a custom built 45ca.
42inch barrel flint longrifle....
I don't think you'll have that problem here, but I would like to say this...

I live 336.9 miles away from you, I would love to shoot that .72 caliber using the 260 grain load...

At least once, that is...

Can you post a picture of it?

I have a thing for large bores, I needed a bib when you talked about the .82 caliber...
grin.gif

Back