• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to figure out which rifle is more hard to come by if I dont buy it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toss a coin & if it dosn't suit you blame Rudyard ! myself Ide go the 62 or lightest but Iv'e got enough so that's your worry .
Regards Rudyard

It depends on what you want the rifle (either .50 or .62 caliber) for. It was already pointed out that the .62 will require more lead and powder. .610 round ball molds are available. The longer barrel on the .50 will give you a longer sighting radius, a consideration for a target rifle depending on the age and condition of your eyes. For hunting elk in Colorado a round ball rifle needed to be .54 caliber or have a minimal weight of projectile. A .50 caliber capable of shooting a slug, minie, maxi, buffalo or other conical round meeting a minimal weight requirement would be suitable. Get a buddy to buy the other rifle you don't choose with the option of buying it from him later. It don't always get a chance to shoot a muzzle loader before purchasing it but if that is a possibility, insist on it. You can compare the fit - drop, pull, balance, sight clarity, cast off or cast on, etc. without shooting them. I like to start at a dot on the wall, close my eyes, bring the rifle up to where the dot seems to be and then open my eyes. If the sights align on or very close to the dot it is a good fit. Let us know what you bought and if you think you made the right choice.

Recently I posted on the forum about pointers to get into Muzzleloading. I purchased a smoothbore flintlock 16ga fowler which I have apart right and is being throughly cleaned. However there is a seller in Piedmont,WV who is selling two rifles for a decent price which have perked my interest. I was able to get my 16ga for such a good price it left me with enough to also get a rifle. The two rifles are a .50 caliber 45 7/8" barrel and a .62 caliber 36 3/4" barrel. They are both beautiful and have been well taken care of. Both rifles are in my price limit and I can only buy one. My question is which rifle will be harder to find. If I buy one I want to buy the rifle I most likely will never find again. I really like both of them and he has another buyer who will buy whatever I don't. My buddies on my crew are split on what I should buy when I asked so I figured I would come back here for some more expert advice. Sorry if my posts are too consistent and annoying. I thank everyone who replies.

Edit: I have made aware that my descriptions are very vague (my apologies).
Both flintlocks are Rifles, rifling looks good in both and they are both very clean. I ran oversize patches down both bores and there was no snagging of the fabric. Both rifles are equal in terms of looks and fitting of parts (brass and barrel as well as the lock all fit well with the wood). The barrels and locks both have good bluing. The locks are different though, the .50 caliber rifle has a Siler lock and the .62 caliber rifle has an L&R lock. Both frizzens show signs of use nothing damaging though as both rifles have been used since the early 1980s. I do not know who was the manufacturer of either barrel or where the stocks came from. I don't have any pictures as the owner asked me not to share any of his rifles online until he is no longer the owner of them ( so I didn't take any pictures ). My apologies for all the confusion, I will remember to post better descriptions in the future.

Welcome to the agonising joy of never having enough Flintlock Rifles LOL, believe me it never really ends.

I would base my decision upon what I intended to do with a gun before making a purchasing decision. --- I work in a gun store. Often a new buyer asks we what I recommend they buy. My first question for them is what do the intend to do with the gun. When they answer me I usually can lead them towards an appropriate choice.

Ask yourself why .62 is rare , well its not rare just uncommon , why ? is it recoil , cost of balls and powder , not useful as a dual game/target caliber . If you are only going to hunt go .62 if you are going to target shoot as well go .50 . Really it comes down to your decision . I shoot with a mate who shoots an original Purdy caplock in .62 , recoil is a big factor for him . Don't worry about what we think , worry about what you think. .

Simple answer, go in hock like the rest of us and get both. I’m sure someone has already suggested that option but I just scanned the thread without reading everything.

Yep, after sleeping on it for at least 2 hours you'll know that for the "must have" ML's a quick credit card transaction just has to happen !

Would be interested in your decision....If the 62 is still avail,would you put me in touch?????

Back