• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying shot in a rifled muzzleloading pistol??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 1990's , in Pa.'s big woods , on a hot August evening , my son and I were headed on the five mile trip out to the hard top road to go home. "bout a mile from our camp we spotted a very large 45" cream colored timber rattle snake headed toward the driveway to a " below the road" camp. Playing at the other end of driveway next to the camp were three young , little kids. My son and I looked at each other and said , "we can't let this obvious catastrophe happened." Only gun we had with us was one of those rifled , .40 cal. percussion kit pistols loaded with probably an overload of equal powder and #6 fine shot. Tried running over the critter w/the truck to no avail , so capped the pistol , and let the snake have the load at about three feet distance. It took effect , and a guy in the camp came out yelling what are you shooting about? We showed him the situation and his demeanor went from anger to shock and thankfulness. We separated ,and buried the head from the rest of the monster and he took the body to skin and mount it as a camp souvenir. The kit pistol performed flawlessly , even though it had very shallow rifling. My son had it loaded with newspaper for wadding and created lotsa smoke and fire. Guaranteed there was a barbecuing effect on anything shot at three feet distance. ....................oldwood

I like shooting different shot loads (bird shot, Buck shot, square shot, swan shot, BBs, etc.) in my percussion pistol. It is rifled but that doesn't matter. Rifled barrels are over rated anyway.

Also, how many folks outside our region (or age group) call it pop? 😄
It was always "Give me a bottle of pop." when I grew up. Short for soda pop I guess. Now its, 'Hand me a dew or a pepper etc. Speaking of which, I ran on to a 12 pack of DP that had been in my camper for over a year. I took it out on the range and shot them with my black powder shotguns. Great fun, and even better targets - but you have to shake them good first.

It was always "Give me a bottle of pop." when I grew up. Short for soda pop I guess. Now its, 'Hand me a dew or a pepper etc. Speaking of which, I ran on to a 12 pack of DP that had been in my camper for over a year. I took it out on the range and shot them with my black powder shotguns. Great fun, and even better targets - but you have to shake them good first.
Oh yeah....I love shooting stuff like that!

Back