• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trying Buck & Ball loads with smoothbore fun...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, Do you think a charge of FFg somewhere between 70 & 90gr. will improve the no. of hits on that target? Also, would hand rolled tow and/or wool felt wads help?

Last edited:
That was a fun video. I see no practical reason for buck & ball loads except for simple fun shooting.
I suppose, back in the day, if you were shooting at relatively close range into a massed group of the enemy, you might have a greater chance of wounding someone? I think D1954 may have done a video to test how that would play out.

Mark, Do you think a charge of FFg somewhere between 70 & 90gr. will improve the no. of hits on that target? Also, would hand rolled tow and/or wool felt wads help?
I'm not sure if either would help. I may try wool felt or hand rolled tow.
I just love trying these powder charges at different levels just to see what happens.
I want to try this again...only next time, I want to get a refigerator box & split it open & hopefully see where the patterns shows. Thanks for watching my friend.

I suppose, back in the day, if you were shooting at relatively close range into a massed group of the enemy, you might have a greater chance of wounding someone? I think D1954 may have done a video to test how that would play out.
I would prefer a B&B load if I was on a line in a Civil War battle.
I'm sure you would take someone down on the other side.

On Jamestown Island, the archaeologists recovered the body of a young man who got hit in the back of the leg with a load that contained a handful of buckshot and a musketball. Based on the spread, it’s likely that he was shot at a range of about 20 feet, which almost certainly makes it a training accident in open order. For a while they were trying to build interest by claiming that it was a duel or a murder, but neither of those fits the evidence.
In the Revolution, the Earl of Cavan recommended “each cartridge to contain eight quarter ounce [.42 cal] balls, with the usual quantity of powder,” while Washington suggested cartridges containing “one musket ball and four or eight buckshot.”
Jay

Looks fun! Nice gun and I like your knapping tool a lot!
Wondering if your aim might improve without the sling wrapping around the barrel?
Possibly would be better. I use that sling to carry it while carrying everything I need to make videos...
I really need to take it off when I get there. Thanks for watching.

Back