• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

tru oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Tru Oil for many years. But in retrospect its primary attribute is short drying time and I have come to dislike its high gloss. The last stock I did was finished with Permalyn and I rather liked that. On the next I will try polymerized tung oil.

It is polymerized due to oxygen exposure. Poke a hole in the skin. Really, just throw it away. You don't want bit of crud in the finish.

In the future use "Bloxygen" to put a blanket of argon on top of the finish in the bottle. IT will not skin over.

It is polymerized due to oxygen exposure. Poke a hole in the skin. Really, just throw it away. You don't want bit of crud in the finish.

In the future use "Bloxygen" to put a blanket of argon on top of the finish in the bottle. IT will not skin over.
Or just store it up side down.

I've used Tru Oil for many years. But in retrospect its primary attribute is short drying time and I have come to dislike its high gloss. The last stock I did was finished with Permalyn and I rather liked that. On the next I will try polymerized tung oil.

I agree regarding the high gloss finish and would prefer one that is not that glossy yet durable. for some years, I used the Wahkon Bay products for stain and finish. I really like their browning solution but the finish products needed constant attention and in one severe rain, my stock was ruined. I removed it and had to resort to Tru Oil. Better, but still too shiny for me.

I have posted this many times before; to extend the shelf life of Tru-oil only poke a pin hole in the seal and store the bottle up side down. You can get all the Tru-oil you need out of this pin hole.

truoil tip.JPG

As for being too shiny, when you apply the finish use a small square of rag, apply just a little at a time rubbing it in until it starts to get tacky, you will get a satin finish this way. I usually put on 5 or 6 thin coats.

TC lock.JPG

Years back I solved a like problem. I used enough acetone to cover the skin in the Tru Oil container and about a week of patience.

I agree regarding the high gloss finish and would prefer one that is not that glossy yet durable. for some years, I used the Wahkon Bay products for stain and finish. I really like their browning solution but the finish products needed constant attention and in one severe rain, my stock was ruined. I removed it and had to resort to Tru Oil. Better, but still too shiny for me.
You can cut the gloss back with BC stock conditioner or rubbing compound

Latest posts

Back