• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TRS vs TOW Long Land kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjarard

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Any feedback on Rifle Shoppe vs TOW long land kits. One vs the other...any differences, such as stock quality(better inletting), missing items in one kit(pins?), etc. Don't have to worry about locks as I would get that pre-assembled. Are all TRS screws already hardened...things like that. Right now TOW kits are a year out...TRS 3 months. If TOW kits are better I can wait. Thanks

Hi,
Your question cannot be answered without understanding what you want in a Bess. What pattern? What period?

dave
The TOW kit is a 42 Willits...its their only Long Land kit. The TRS '42 Tower would be the similar musket at that is what I would get. Not really asking per historical reference but rather kit quality. I know one person who has the TOW LL...but he didn't build it..actually never saw it until it was completely finished. If you had to pick one or the other, which one would you pick. If the TOW kit is much nicer I'll wait for one...but if they are basically the same then I can get on their list for 3 month wait. (at least that is what they are telling me). I have heard that the TRS stocks have been problematic...not sure if that is still true.

Hi,
TRS stocks vary in quality of the machine inletting. I think they have improved after making their most recent move. I have a Ferguson parts set right now that looks pretty good but had a British light infantry carbine a few years ago on which the precarved stock looked to be done by a 10-year old with a router. However, it was salvageable and made a good gun. I think the Track kit was originally by TRS. The TOW kit is a pattern 1742 Brown Bess with a lock marked 1746. You should understand that the dates on the locks have no bearing on when the musket was made or issued and do not designate any model or pattern. They simply designate when the lock was made and often the contractor's name. British ordnance often stored them for years before setting them up on a musket. Unfortunately, I do not believe TOW sells that kit anymore. It pays to know something about Brown Besses if you want to have one. The pattern 1730s and 1730/40s have stocks with the most drop at heel making them the most comfortable shooters. The pattern 1742 is massive but still has a bit of drop at heel. The pattern 1748 also has decent drop and is lighter and slimmer being fitted with a steel rammer. With the pattern 1756, stocks got straighter with less drop. That is particularly true with the later short land patterns after 1769. I have trouble getting my cheek down on them.

dave

Hi,
TRS stocks vary in quality of the machine inletting. I think they have improved after making their most recent move. I have a Ferguson parts set right now that looks pretty good but had a British light infantry carbine a few years ago on which the precarved stock looked to be done by a 10-year old with a router. However, it was salvageable and made a good gun. I think the Track kit was originally by TRS. The TOW kit is a pattern 1742 Brown Bess with a lock marked 1746. You should understand that the dates on the locks have no bearing on when the musket was made or issued and do not designate any model or pattern. They simply designate when the lock was made and often the contractor's name. British ordnance often stored them for years before setting them up on a musket. Unfortunately, I do not believe TOW sells that kit anymore. It pays to know something about Brown Besses if you want to have one. The pattern 1730s and 1730/40s have stocks with the most drop at heel making them the most comfortable shooters. The pattern 1742 is massive but still has a bit of drop at heel. The pattern 1748 also has decent drop and is lighter and slimmer being fitted with a steel rammer. With the pattern 1756, stocks got straighter with less drop. That is particularly true with the later short land patterns after 1769. I have trouble getting my cheek down on them.

dave
Thanks Dave. TOW said they are about a year out on the LL kit. Not sure if they are still made by TRS.

Back