• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TRS M1776 Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a good pal who has a TRS M1776 Rifle that was assemble by someone other than himself. He and a couple other guys ordered them back during the Bi-Cen era, I believe. Just wondering if anyone else out there has one, and how well it shoots, as it of course is rifled. My pal may be selling his or not sometime, and I'd like to know more about them, including the general price range. I understand they're not an "easy kit"! to say the least. Thanks.

If you're thinking about ordering a kit from TRS it's best to call them first and find out if what you're interested in is in stock. They are a very small shop and they offer dozens and dozens of kits and only make runs of the less popular ones occasionally, which can be years in between runs.

Springfield
I have built one of TRS 1776 rifle kit. It is not a beginners build. As to how they shoot it is a wonderful rifle to carry and shoot. I use this as my hunting rifle and packs a good punch. Very easy on the shoulder as long as you use 80 to 85 grains 3f. Higher loads start to become a bit on the heavy recoil side. Accuracy is very good with 2 inch groups or less at 1 hundred yds.

Yes the TRS wood leaves a bit to be desired. I had to set the barrel back about 1/8-1/4 inch to place the touch hole correctly. You rifle looks great and I really like the wood. Put the barrel keys in from the side plate side as was done originally. I coned my muzzle as the originals. Did you blind tap the holes for the ram rod swivel? Originals were drilled through the barrel side wall and then tapped. Don't think the technology was there to do a blind hole tap in the 18th century. I made lock nuts for my swivel for the threaded studs from 3/8 rod and then turned them to shape to hold the swivel arms in place.

Yes the TRS wood leaves a bit to be desired. I had to set the barrel back about 1/8-1/4 inch to place the touch hole correctly. You rifle looks great and I really like the wood. Put the barrel keys in from the side plate side as was done originally. I coned my muzzle as the originals. Did you blind tap the holes for the ram rod swivel? Originals were drilled through the barrel side wall and then tapped. Don't think the technology was there to do a blind hole tap in the 18th century. I made lock nuts for my swivel for the threaded studs from 3/8 rod and then turned them to shape to hold the swivel arms in place.

Yes, blind tapped holes. Passed that I don't recall many details, I built these more than 10 years ago.

Back