• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trout buck and ball rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushbuster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
whats the largest buck shot you can shoot out of a .410 smooth bore and how many pellets max,also how many gr.b/p :hmm: :hmm:

i shoot = parts 40 grains or 3FF with = shot , i think if i recall that comes to 1/2 to 5/8 oz of shot
as to the largest shot size , that would without a patch be .410 round ball or with a patch .395. I used to shoot 40 cal balls all the time in mine .

as to the shot size , i dont think there is any set size you cant use but i found i liked # 6 to #7 1/2 shot , for grouse pheasants and chucker size birds . with phesants i worked up a hot load heavy on the shot side .

what type of .410 do you have , i been looking at building a SXS in flint for grouse hunting

the .410 i have is a john trout buck and ball uver and under .the top barrel is rifled and i shoot a .433 round ball with a .10 patch with 60gr.fff the botom barrel is a smoothbore of the same cal. this rifle was built between 1855 and 1875 in williamsburg pa. and in excellent condition although the nipples are siezed its a lot of fun to shoot.i was thinking of loading buckshot in the lower barrel as a close range back up for deer :hmm: :thumbsup: :redthumb:

was thinking of loading buckshot in the lower barrel as a close range back up for deer
===========================================================

Well mmm you could but depending on the size of buckshot 0,00 you may not get the results you expect.
If the smooth barrels in of the same diameter as the rifled barrel I would load it as a smooth bore with just a round ball and patch.
A smooth bore .410 should mic out at .410 at the bore. a 40 cal rifle usually mic out at .410 with the groves

I really like .410; I think they get a bad rap from guys who get made fun of for shooting one. I grew up learning to shoot with a Remington .410 sxs. I have killed just about everything you can think of bird wise with one right up to Canadian goose size

Actually if i'm not mistaken, which has happened before, believe it or not, :: a .410 is actually .45 cal. I know they sell some new derinngers that will shoot both a .45 long Colt or a .410 shot shell.

I have a 10" vent-rib T/C Contender barrel that fires .410 or .45 Long Colt (has a flip-up adj. rear sight, it's a neat little barrel).

My wife likes the .410 because she can clobber cans at 50 ft with it. :haha:

On a 410 .410 is the bore diameter just as with a 50 the bore is .500 and a 45 cal .450.
Now this is give or takes some as we know because some barrels are over and others under. A .410 shell will fit in the bore of a 45 but we must remember that cartridge guns have a chamber and a forcing cone that is larger then the actual bore to allow for the extra thickness of the cartridge itself..

Also the 45 derringers are

Back