Trousers AND leggings?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Jfoster

36 Cal.
Reaction score
So given the area i hunt in its a lot of briar/scrub brush when the foliage is thick. Not to mention devils walking stick as well as a host of small cactus in the bluff lines. I know trousers made it to the rendezvous. Would it be feasible for a hunter of the time to incorporate both trousers and leggings? If so is the 1800s too late for the use of the wool leggings of the 1700s?

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
So given the area i hunt in its a lot of briar/scrub brush when the foliage is thick. Not to mention devils walking stick as well as a host of small cactus in the bluff lines. I know trousers made it to the rendezvous. Would it be feasible for a hunter of the time to incorporate both trousers and leggings? If so is the 1800s too late for the use of the wool leggings of the 1700s?
Al long as the leggings fit over the trousers, I don't see an issue. With the vegetation & conditions you describe, braintan leggings would be my choice...

Jfoster

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Al long as the leggings fit over the trousers, I don't see an issue. With the vegetation & conditions you describe, braintan leggings would be my choice...
Thanks Black Hand. As per usual your johnny on the spot with help.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
One must also remember that the wool leggings of the 1700's are somewhat different than those worn in the 1800's.

Scott_C

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I wear elkskin leggings over my trousers whenever out - stops all the nasty stickers and cacti we have here in Nebraska. And it keeps my white trousers clean too.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
How do the 1800s variants differ?
Styling, length and fit. Braintan legging styles differ between the 18th & 19th centuries as well. I'd suggest an image search and do some comparison before making leggings.