• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Troubleshooting cap problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Traded for a 45 the other day. After cleaning it up I decided to see how it shoots. Ran into interesting problem. Cap fires only after 2nd attempt. Changed nipples (new) and problem was fixed for 15 shots then returned. Any suggestions ?

If they fired fine for 15 shots then the problem returned it is probably accumulated fouling on the nipples. That will cause the cap to not fully seat on the nipple. When I shoot my percussion rifles I keep a small piece of scotchbrite pad in my box. A little spit or cleaning solution on the pad and twist it around the nipple. Easy fix and worth a try.

Traded for a 45 the other day. After cleaning it up I decided to see how it shoots. Ran into interesting problem. Cap fires only after 2nd attempt. Changed nipples (new) and problem was fixed for 15 shots then returned. Any suggestions ?
Not seeing the issue first hand, check these items: Good proper fitting caps, hammer fits naked nipple so the two surfaces are parallel and centered. The mainspring is not week. Too small of a cap and concussion zone will not seat on the nipple. I am repeating Jaegermeister's reply.
Larry

If your mainspring is binding against the inner mortice of the lock, it will slow the hammer fall. Loosen the lock screw one turn and see if that clears your problem. I am going on the assumption that you are using #11 caps, not #10. Push the cap firmly onto the nipple. Also, a little lubrication on the inner moving parts of the lock will help. This and all of the other suggestions, you should be trouble free. If not, come on back and the group will find other possible solutions.

Most common problem is cap not fitting the nipple quite right. Caps and nipples are not 100% standardized and can be off just enough that the cap doesn't quite go on all the way. You can remove the nipple and take off a little metal with a fine file or emery cloth.

Another thing to check is the hammer cup; sometimes you will get a spent cap stuck inside of the hammer cup and it will act as a cushion on following shots. Oh, and look twice; the last time this happened to me at the range I checked the hammer cup and thought it was ok, continued to have the problem so I packed up and went home thinking I needed a new nipple. During my cleaning I found a spent cap wedged neat as could be inside of the hammer cup.

The new nipple was square at the top as was the original nipple. After a few shots the problem began, so it’s not the caps. Inspect both nipples to see if the tip is still square and flat. The hammer cup if not hitting flat will make the end out of square and a burr will form that holds the cap off the tip of the nipple. The first hit smashes the cap to conform to the nipple then the second hit can set it off. Not an uncommon thing and you can see this once you take a careful look. If burred a couple of light passes with a fine file to just the burr on the nipple will allow a cap to seat and fire on the first hit. Then decide what to do long term.

The top of the nipple should be a knife edge, not a flat top. You can "sharpen the nipple by chucking it in a drill and using a tool stone. I often have to "sharpen " a new nipple also the nipple should be "hard" not soft enough to cut with a file.

Back