• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trouble see front sight on Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric, I am with you on liking the lines of the SMR and don't really want to add a peep. It has been about 30 years since I have been shooting due to work. Retired right before the lockdown and decided to get back into this great hobby. Apparently in those 30 years I not only lost my hair I also lost something in my vision.
You all have given me so options to look into.

Thanks David ,
I was looking around after you mentioned it and found this as well. Yours does seem better to me …
https://eyepalusa.com/
I wear bi-focals and doubt that would work for me. The Gehmann is adjustable for the iris size and I can fit it above the reading part of my glasses.. It costs a bit more, but I think it's worth it for my old eyes.

I wear bi-focals and doubt that would work for me. The Gehmann is adjustable for the iris size and I can fit it above the reading part of my glasses.. It costs a bit more, but I think it's worth it for my old eyes.
The fact that it works for you is all that matters . The adjustability is a real plus from what I gather .

Last edited:
I did a search for gun site paints and see a number of glow paints for sites. Has anyone used any of these products?
I did not use gunsight specific paint but rather a white epoxy on the face of the front blade on a Sharps carbine. The problem I have is that the range has a roof over the shooter’s station which shades the sight and still makes it difficult to see . I did not want fluorescent green or orange on the Sharps but thought white would look fine . Problem is that it doesn’t work for me .

David, that Stick On Iris is something that I have never seen before. That you for that link.
My suggestion of using a square piece of black plastic electrical tape with a 1/8" hole punched in it is very much like the stick on iris previously mentioned. Works the same way. Some people may not have a leather punch to make holes in the tape and may find the purchased version a better option.

My suggestion of using a square piece of black plastic electrical tape with a 1/8" hole punched in it is very much like the stick on iris previously mentioned. Works the same way. Some people may not have a leather punch to make holes in the tape and may find the purchased version a better option.
I saw that suggestion (Of using the tape with hole) in one of the video reviews of the commercial product .

I just go to the dollar store and get some nail polish in different colors. You can flick the dried polish off with your fingernail and try a different color. If you use a medium or darker color put an undercoating of white on first it makes the topcoat stand out better. Years ago I bought the special sight paint and the nail polish works just as well. For me the fluorescent green works better than the fluorescent red. YMMV

I just go to the dollar store and get some nail polish in different colors. You can flick the dried polish off with your fingernail and try a different color. If you use a medium or darker color put an undercoating of white on first it makes the topcoat stand out better. Years ago I bought the special sight paint and the nail polish works just as well. For me the fluorescent green works better than the fluorescent red. YMMV
It’s funny you said this. I just bought fluorescent red/orange nail polish at the dollar store this week. It works in some light for me but not all. I’ll try the green over white as you suggested.
My situation is a little different. I had a macular hole in my right eye that caused retina damage. I can still see but with distorted vision. Vertical lines such as front sights are staggered with missing pieces so I’m never sure where the actual top of the blade is. I’m hoping a bit of paint may help.

What ?? Can you point me to what you are talking about ?
If memory serves, the one that has made a lot of difference for me is called "Eye Pal". I'll try to track back to where I got mine, several years ago.
I believe Bushnells lists a similar (but more expensive) version.
One key factor, which I've not seen mentioned, is whether you are normally, near, or far sighted. 'm near sighted, w/ early stage cataracts. The diopter (little aperture which sicks on your glasses) let me back a couple decades from my sight picture.

Because I use my rifle for re-enacting, I've chosen to limit my options. New glasses have helped but low light conditions are still a challenge.
I'm considering a long mount rear (notch) sight that the Log Cabin offers. I think it would preserve the traditional appearance, but might help.
I'm also working on shaping two alternate front sights: one with a thick silver blade and, inspired by an old SBS shotgun I once had & liked, shaping the blade from a chip of mastodon ivory, which I got form a fellow member here.

Hope these ideas help.

Last edited:
I find it's hard to get the bifocals to work because I can't align the lower lens with the sight picture. These magnification glasses work for me and they are cheap. They come in various powers You can also add a diopter to them using electrical tape. Make a small hole in a piece of tape.

Elvex - WELRX500C15 RX-500C 1.5 Diopter Full Lens Magnifier Safety Glasses, Black Frame /Clear Lens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSJQC8W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_49D8BNHV5KMVN7YJ9VFY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot_20220529-071654.png

I was having a hard time seeing the sights on my renegade, due to my age. I installed a Skinner peep , painted the front blade (orange) with birchwoody casey sight paint sticks. What a difference, brought my confidence back. I'm Ordering another skinner Brass and blue for my Hawkins.

Thanks David ,
I was looking around after you mentioned it and found this as well. Yours does seem better to me …
https://eyepalusa.com/
I wear progressive lens glasses and have used Eyepal for a few years now with no problems. First thing I do when I get to the range is stick ‘em on. The upper left hand corner of my right lens. The difference is night and day.

I found that a high contrast target helped me , I could not see the silver blade on a white target

Attachments

• DSC03160.JPG
    DSC03160.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 5
Back