• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trouble in paradise with the pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got sidetracked big time while shooting the pedersoli .45 Ky rifle. Ended up with a loaded rifle, then reloaded it again with an identical load on top of the original load. 56 grns of 3f under a PRB, then another 56 grns of 3f under another PRB. The balls weigh about 137 grns each which give me about 274 grns of lead to push out. I tried screw worm unsuccessfully, and my air compressor unsuccessfully. The worm I used was for a 36 cal rifle originally and didn't really grab the ball well and pulled out.

Would it be unreasonable to shoot them out with the original load pushing two balls and powder?

Perhaps one of the wizards here has had a similar experience and knows the way to remedy the problem.

I'm no expert, but I'd shoot it out. Proving a rifle barrel is much more strenuous than that. The problem isn't the powder, since it almost certainly won't ignite on the top charge, being blocked by the extra ball. The charge is double the weight of a proper charge. Unless you're pushing the envelope, shouldn't be a problem.

But maybe it is. Don't take my word for it, because I'm no expert. Do whatever, just make sure the loads are down on the powder and you don't have a void which would be dangerous.

I have shot a double charge from my 45.

I did it unknowingly but still, I have done it. The scary thought is the second charge igniting. If your patch is tight enough I should just blow the whole mess right out. What you might do to help the top load slide is lube the Barrel up good. I’ve done that to pull a ball too. Just don’t leave a puddle of oil in the barrel as that just adds to the weight of the whole mess.

I don’t believe you the top load ignites, causing the “wallup” but the weight of the extra ball and charge. But who knows.

I believe double charges are more common than we like to admit!

Good luck! Be careful!!

Well, I thought about it and ran a lubed patch down the barrel and took the rifle to a nearby canal and lit that puppy off. Blew everything out with a little more recoil is all. It was noisy but I forgot the ear plugs so I can't say if both charges ignited or not. Live and learn. Mostly a lesson on paying attention to the task at hand instead of trying to keep up a BS conversation while loading.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Everyone has a technique to keep tract of the loading process. This is mine.
My loading box has a shelf, on that shelf I place my wipe fluid, my powder measure, my short starter ball.
After a shot, or before the first, all items are on the shelf.
Wipe the bore, after putting 2 drops on the patch, I put the bottle on the shooting bench. That tells me the bore is wiped.
Then I charge, I fill the measure from the flask, and charge the barrel from the measure. I lay the measure on the bench. That tells me it is charged.
Then I grab a patch and ball and the short starter, and start the ball. I lay the starter on the bench. That tells me I am balled.
I grab the field rod and set the ball to the charge, the rod is leaned up against the stand with the shooting box. That tells me it's done.
After the shot, when it's wiping time, everything on the bench is moved to the shelf.
I am ready to start the next cycle.
I too, spend time talking and visiting with fellow shooters, That's a big part of the experience, sharing and being shared with, gaining their knowledge, and sharing yours. The goal is to learn while being safe.
TX GRIZ

Mostly a lesson on paying attention to the task at hand instead of trying to keep up a BS conversation while loading.
Now there is some sage wisdom and words to live by.
My Father always said"Accidents do not just happen ,,they are caused.
When I go up to the shooting line,all conversation stops,period.
Glad to read it all worked out

The Wifey has double loaded when shooting Her CVA Hawken and guess who had the privilege to shoot it off !!! This was Woodswalk and they made me go off alone in the brush to set it off !!! Nothing happened just a little more recoil and a bunch of guffaw`s that followed !!! My loading procedure , when shooting Paper, is to lay out 5 Balls to make sure I shoot 5 not 4 or six and lose points .

Might also want to consider getting one of the CO2 dischargers, They work. Compressed air gets you maybe 120-150 psi, CO2 easily hits 800+. I have used mine to dislodge a 50 cal under a test of the device and the ball landed in the berm 40 meters away.
There's a thread about it somewhere on here, and several folks who have one all brag about how good they work.

After seeing how well they worked, I bought one from the Log cabin a few years back. It would blow out cleaning patches but leaked something fierce and would not blow out a patched ball. After many frustrating attempts and several co2 cartridges I reworked it and can get it to blow out a patched ball about one half the time. It leaked at two places , now the major leak is fixed but I still can only use it on percussion, it just will not seal on a vent hole!

I have double loaded my 75 cal. Bess and shot it
out without any problem. The kick wasn't too bad
either.....That's two ball = a lot of lead.

Back