• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trouble…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have ever fired a machine gun you will see that the barrel gets hotter than needed to melt lead?

Thats a different temper though than on contemporary MG barrels, when I wore uniform we had GPMG night shoots sometimes, it was a form of bidding goodbye to worn out out barrels so they fired them as "runaway guns" until the barrels were almost white hot and drooping; as they cooled you could hear the crackling.

If the OP is looking for a simple cheap solution, one thing I have used with success simply requires a bicycle pump (floor model) and a shraeder valve bicycle tube. Cut out the valve portion from the tube and the bottom is rubber then press it around the nipple and attach aforementioned pump and pump. I use this with my flintlock and hold the valve against the touch hole then pump. It does take 2 people usually. I live in town and cant shoot out a load after a hunting trip so I pull the lock, press the valve and my son pumps then you get a pop at low velocity and pretty easy clean up. The low velocity should help since there is threaded metal possibly against your bore. I wasnt going to post but I read, and agreed, with the guy who mentioned 50 psi being all that is necessary, that's about right. If you're interested I can post pics. With a percussion gun you may need to drill out the rubber a touch which is easy. I actually carry the valve I've described in my range box and I'm a semi pro cyclist so I always carry a pump in the truck. For full disclosure I've never done it with maybe 20 plus inches between breach and obstruction but its 100 percent effective when against a packed charge.
Good luck and filter the negatives from this post....

If the OP is looking for a simple cheap solution, one thing I have used with success simply requires a bicycle pump (floor model) and a shraeder valve bicycle tube. Cut out the valve portion from the tube and the bottom is rubber then press it around the nipple and attach aforementioned pump and pump. I use this with my flintlock and hold the valve against the touch hole then pump. It does take 2 people usually. I live in town and cant shoot out a load after a hunting trip so I pull the lock, press the valve and my son pumps then you get a pop at low velocity and pretty easy clean up. The low velocity should help since there is threaded metal possibly against your bore. I wasnt going to post but I read, and agreed, with the guy who mentioned 50 psi being all that is necessary, that's about right. If you're interested I can post pics. With a percussion gun you may need to drill out the rubber a touch which is easy. I actually carry the valve I've described in my range box and I'm a semi pro cyclist so I always carry a pump in the truck. For full disclosure I've never done it with maybe 20 plus inches between breach and obstruction but its 100 percent effective when against a packed charge.
Good luck and filter the negatives from this post....
Well, look at that. 13 pages into a topic many of us have gotten tired of seeing, and lo and behold, a new idea pops up that seems pretty good.

I for one would certainly like to see pics.
Maybe a video of this method in action?

Ask and receive, for pics anyway. Here are 3 pics of the complex device I've used for over 10 years...and my elk gun which is what I've used it on (54 cal and 44 inch barrel).
I'm intrigued by the grease gun method but havent used it...

Attachments

• 20220126_202359.jpg
    20220126_202359.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220126_202350.jpg
    20220126_202350.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220126_202414.jpg
    20220126_202414.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 61

Everyone on this forum needs to watch this video.

Replying to this so it’s here twice if anyone not involved with most of the thread ends up skipping through it all. My personal experience, I knew some people who were heavily into muzzleloaders and any time you asked a question, they acted like you had kicked their dog. Telling you to read books, figure it out, etc. That’s partly why as a late teen into my mid 20s I never owned more than one cap and ball revolver at any one time. I never could get advice in person and I got tired of wading through stuff like this online.

Now that I’m older and wise enough to not blow myself up I don’t really rely too much on needing help but I do participate here. I want to shoot my muzzleloaders and I don’t really care about PC/HC but can appreciate the skill to build something like that. Can’t find anyone local that does this stuff either so I scroll the forums. Deer Creek Products is within an hour from me, those are great guys and I’ve been in the shop a few times. Plenty of good advice from them.

But as far as forums go I feel this one is about as bad as I’ve ever seen about guys dragging stuff out, derailing threads, and generally upping their post counts posting near gibberish or generally being abrasive. See “Holland and Holland Identification” or that T/C Hawken flinter in the classifieds. Both of those threads were started by new, low post count members and they got eaten alive or the posts went off the rails. The Hawken rifle thread got cleaned up however so you had to see it while it was new to understand that one but the Holland and Holland thread I think they’re still talking about haggis while the original poster has left the forum for good all because he trusted a widow to tell him the gun was an H&H. Turns out it’s legit but he definitely got dragged hard before it was confirmed it was a limited run of guns made.

As that video states, no new movie or political action will increase the number of traditional muzzleloader users. Being welcoming or helpful is what’s going to slowly bring more people in. If you can’t be either of those things, being silent works too. Because of me willing to loan out duplicate tools, gear, and give advice, I have one friend who after shooting my flintlock is really wanting to get into this sport. One other friend is about to purchase a percussion rifle as well because he’s shot a few of my handguns and likes the idea of muzzleloading. I can’t find any local shoots other than the standard Friendship spring and fall shoots and since I have no social media like Facebook it would be unlikely to ever find info on upcoming events.

Long story short here. Without me being helpful to my friends the sport would not have gained two new people to support what we all enjoy. Without me being as into firearms as a whole as I am I would not have tried three or four times to pick up muzzleloading since I had no help. I’m going to guess there’s plenty more out there like my friends and myself and this thread and others I mentioned are good examples on how to keep people away.

When I was a kid and even dumber I got air gun pellets stuck in a barrel.
I tried heating the barrel up to melt the lead.
It worked, but only after ruining the barrel.
I learnt quick that the heat transfer from steel to lead is not perfect. Excessive heat is needed to even transmit enough to the lead.
SO DONT DO THAT!

Melt the lead ball out? Seems like the patch would cook off and the ball would roll out on its own, foolish idea to begin with but that was may take anyway.
So I tried the machine gun theory and couldn't keep one in the barrel long enough to melt, I'll give it another shot.
OP!!!!!!!! How you making out with that thing?!?!?!?!!?!? Beginning to worry.
Robby

Replying to this so it’s here twice if anyone not involved with most of the thread ends up skipping through it all. My personal experience, I knew some people who were heavily into muzzleloaders and any time you asked a question, they acted like you had kicked their dog. Telling you to read books, figure it out, etc. That’s partly why as a late teen into my mid 20s I never owned more than one cap and ball revolver at any one time. I never could get advice in person and I got tired of wading through stuff like this online.

Now that I’m older and wise enough to not blow myself up I don’t really rely too much on needing help but I do participate here. I want to shoot my muzzleloaders and I don’t really care about PC/HC but can appreciate the skill to build something like that. Can’t find anyone local that does this stuff either so I scroll the forums. Deer Creek Products is within an hour from me, those are great guys and I’ve been in the shop a few times. Plenty of good advice from them.

But as far as forums go I feel this one is about as bad as I’ve ever seen about guys dragging stuff out, derailing threads, and generally upping their post counts posting near gibberish or generally being abrasive. See “Holland and Holland Identification” or that T/C Hawken flinter in the classifieds. Both of those threads were started by new, low post count members and they got eaten alive or the posts went off the rails. The Hawken rifle thread got cleaned up however so you had to see it while it was new to understand that one but the Holland and Holland thread I think they’re still talking about haggis while the original poster has left the forum for good all because he trusted a widow to tell him the gun was an H&H. Turns out it’s legit but he definitely got dragged hard before it was confirmed it was a limited run of guns made.

As that video states, no new movie or political action will increase the number of traditional muzzleloader users. Being welcoming or helpful is what’s going to slowly bring more people in. If you can’t be either of those things, being silent works too. Because of me willing to loan out duplicate tools, gear, and give advice, I have one friend who after shooting my flintlock is really wanting to get into this sport. One other friend is about to purchase a percussion rifle as well because he’s shot a few of my handguns and likes the idea of muzzleloading. I can’t find any local shoots other than the standard Friendship spring and fall shoots and since I have no social media like Facebook it would be unlikely to ever find info on upcoming events.

Long story short here. Without me being helpful to my friends the sport would not have gained two new people to support what we all enjoy. Without me being as into firearms as a whole as I am I would not have tried three or four times to pick up muzzleloading since I had no help. I’m going to guess there’s plenty more out there like my friends and myself and this thread and others I mentioned are good examples on how to keep people away.

Very well said.

Actually I never have shot a machinegun along with 99.9% of humanity. I don't care how hot they get. I am not going to heat up a muzzleloader barrel to melt a lead bullet. There are other options that are not going to damage the barrel. I will NEVER I repeat NEVER recommend that procedure.
I wouldn't even want to be around someone trying to melt a charge out of a barrel! As far as shooting a machine gun I hope you never have to. It,s not any fun.

Tell Jim, Smo said Hello…. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back