• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trouble…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope everybody learned as much as I did from this thread. Never really thought about a ball getting stuck from fouling. Will be more aware of things from now on when shooting.

In a smoothbore it pays too pay attention to fouling build up…With no grooves for patch compression , once fouled the ball can become stuck easily..
#304….🤣

In a smoothbore it pays too pay attention to fouling build up…With no grooves for patch compression , once fouled the ball can become stuck easily..
#304….🤣

You know I never thought about that. 👍👍

it seems that if you haven't got a stuck ball or dry balled you haven't shot BP? jmho.

it seems that if you haven't got a stuck ball or dry balled you haven't shot BP? jmho.
I've dry balled a few times I have to admit. In my early days when I first started shooting BP, I did have one instance where I had to pound the ram rod against a tree to get my ball seated. That taught me to clean the barrel after a few shots.

That's really too bad. I cant help but wonder how many times like this we never hear if that the owner just puts the gun in the closet and never thinks of it again.
Oh, I am quite certain he fixed the problem one way or the other.
But I don't think he is likely to have much more to do with us here.
I hope I'm wrong.

This has to be the number one post of those who screw up. And it has been
answered hundreds of times. The grease gun method works fine but is the
messy one--with the best safety record. The search function on the forum
will give all the detailed posts.

Came close to having the same problem today. Was trying some unmentionable bullets with the plastic skirts in a 45 TC Hawken. Fired just one round and when I tried the second round it stuck halfway down the barrel. Got my range rod and forced it the rest of the way. Shot rifle and ran a cleaning patch and next round was fine. That will heighten a persons awareness real quick. Just trying to see if they would be good for hunting, cannot get round balls to work very well in this rifle.

#304….🤣
I know on one wood's walk, most of the team had stuck balls that only moved because we had steel rammers. I needed to dampen up my ball of tow and make a couple of passes through to pull out some of that (Reenactor grade powder) fouling from the bore.

Reactions: smo
Came close to having the same problem today. Was trying some unmentionable bullets with the plastic skirts in a 45 TC Hawken. Fired just one round and when I tried the second round it stuck halfway down the barrel. Got my range rod and forced it the rest of the way. Shot rifle and ran a cleaning patch and next round was fine. That will heighten a persons awareness real quick. Just trying to see if they would be good for hunting, cannot get round balls to work very well in this rifle.
I tried .45-70 bullets with a patch in my .50 Hawken. Worked very well, but I never got a chance to try one on game.

Caplock.

My range rod is snapped off in there which is what you can see in the pic.

I could try the air compressor but I don't know how I'd get a good enough seal to push it out.

Air extractor5.JPG

This has to be the number one post of those who screw up. And it has been
answered hundreds of times. The grease gun method works fine but is the
messy one--with the best safety record. The search function on the forum
will give all the detailed posts.

Absolutely. Besides compressed air and perhaps a steel range rod, the grease gun method is the safest option for a suck ball that is not seated all the way down. There is no denying that what so ever and is something I will remember for the day that I ever pull one of those real life "they Lord have mercy" moments, as my late granny used to say.

I appreciate all the smart arse replies, if your sick of these threads feel free to scroll on rather than going out of your way to be a Jack arse.

I've dealt with stuck balls before by myself fine but never like this. As I've said my range rod end is broken off in the barrel so there is no pulling it out.

I'm concerned about shooting it out as the patch worm is sitting on the rifling and I don't want to tear my bore to pieces.

That is why I'm here, needing a gentle way to remove it when I can't push it back in and am scared to shoot it out.

I might tip some water and oil down the nipple hole, let it soak and try to air compressor it out.
Do not shoot it out. If you do and it shifts on it's way out of the barrel it could dig into the rifling and ruin your barrel. I've seen it happen. Try the co2 first, grease 2nd, pull the breechplug 3rd. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back