• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my cva .45 Hawken to the range. Don't shoot this one often. Had quite a few misfires. Cap went off but no boom. Using #10 caps and 2f 777. Saving my real BP for flintlock.
Couple of times I had to remove the clean out screw and drop some powder in. No they weren't dry balled.
Could this be from using 2f?

Some guns may be more able to direct spark from the cap to the powder Better than others. This could be from a slightly different design or that fouling has built up in the path of the spark between cap and
Powder. I have used 777 quite a bit with success in most guns but some guns that just don't fire reliably.
I used 777 in my TC New Englander for deer hunting during the ML season. I didn't see an animal that I wanted to shoot, so the gun wasn't fired all season. Then, with Christmas activities I didn't shoot the gun for over a month. I finally emptied the gun, it went off with the first cap and hit the target I was aiming at.
I have noticed that sometimes I get a flier that I can't explain while shooting from the bench and I've wondered if the 777 might be the fault.

Try TTT 3f Make a habit of slapping the side opposite the lock several times with hammer at 1/2 cock before ramming home the ball. T7 2F a bit too course in MHO

This ^^^^

I have used 777 2F in my .50 New Englander during one range trip due for running off and forgetting my BP. Didn't have the first problem with it. I do, however, always lean the ML over towards the lock side, and wrap on the butt stock on the lock side after pouring the powder down the barrel.

However, I understand that a CVA .45 is a different ML so perhaps it would prefer 3F in 777 better?

I have a CVA Hawken 50cal barrel on this gun that used to have a few failures to ignite with 50g of 777 3f. I changed the stock nipple to a Hot Shot CVA nipple for #11 caps from Track of The Wolf and have had no more problems over the past few years. I do fire a cap every so often with no charge to make sure nothing is obstructing the flame. This nipple has two vents drilled near the top as seen in this picture and has a larger inside passage for the flame. My cleanout screw froze in place, so I just filed it smooth instead of using an easy out extractor.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a CVA Hawken 50cal barrel on this gun that used to have a few failures to ignite with 50g of 777 3f. I changed the stock nipple to a Hot Shot CVA nipple for #11 caps from Track of The Wolf and have had no more problems over the past few years. I do fire a cap every so often with no charge to make sure nothing is obstructing the flame. This nipple has two vents drilled near the top as seen in this picture and has a larger inside passage for the flame.

Interesting. Never seen one of those before.

My wife has a .50 CVA Hawken but it has a 209 setup on it. Haven't tried 777 yet but if/when I do my guess is it will torch off just fine.

OK, first question: Why are you using #10 caps? Normally that gun would use #11 caps. Dunno if that contributed to the misfires, but anyway...
Second question: Why are you using 777 2f? T7, in my experience, is only reliable by itself in the 3f flavor with sidelock guns.
Third question: Clean out screw? Far as I know there is no such thing. If memory serves, the CVA Hawken has a bolster and bolster screw. Normaly, the shooter doesn't remove either one unless something needs replacement.
Forth question: How and with what do you clean your gun?

Suggestions:
  • Get some #11 caps and maybe a new nipple.
  • Maybe you want a new bolster as well,
  • Put ten grains or so of black powder down the bore before you put the main charge of T7 in there. That helps... at least sometimes.
  • Clean with a bucket of hot soapy water.
  • Get some actual black powder as soon as you can. Put the T7 on the shelf for a day when you can't get black powder... and that day is coming sooner than you think!

"OK, first question: Why are you using #10 caps? Normally that gun would use #11 caps. Dunno if that contributed to the misfires, but anyway...
Second question: Why are you using 777 2f? T7, in my experience, is only reliable by itself in the 3f flavor with sidelock guns.
Third question: Clean out screw? Far as I know there is no such thing. If memory serves, the CVA Hawken has a bolster and bolster screw. Normaly, the shooter doesn't remove either one unless something needs replacement.
Forth question: How and with what do you clean your gun?"

Call it what you will but if you ever "Need" to remove this screw you had best be making it a part of your regular cleaning as it wont take more than a few times igroring it and it will become permanent. I call mine a clean out screw and it gets cleaned out after shooting 1 shot or 20. Be surprised how much easier it is to remove this lil screw and put 4f in a straight shot down to your dryball VS the nipple/angle angle route!

Carry on........

Took my cva .45 Hawken to the range. Don't shoot this one often. Had quite a few misfires. Cap went off but no boom. Using #10 caps and 2f 777. Saving my real BP for flintlock.
Couple of times I had to remove the clean out screw and drop some powder in. No they weren't dry balled.
Could this be from using 2f?
This is the CVA set up. It has to be clean. Once that happens never a misfire

Attachments

• 4671-CVA1.jpg
    4671-CVA1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
I have a CVA Hawken 50cal barrel on this gun that used to have a few failures to ignite with 50g of 777 3f. I changed the stock nipple to a Hot Shot CVA nipple for #11 caps from Track of The Wolf and have had no more problems over the past few years. I do fire a cap every so often with no charge to make sure nothing is obstructing the flame. This nipple has two vents drilled near the top as seen in this picture and has a larger inside passage for the flame.
I like that type of nipple also . That nipple been on one of my guns for over 15 years. I also have the hammer at half cock when loading, thinking powder can enter closer to nipple

"OK, first question: Why are you using #10 caps? Normally that gun would use #11 caps. Dunno if that contributed to the misfires, but anyway...
Forth question: How and with what do you clean your gun?"

Call it what you will but if you ever "Need" to remove this screw you had best be making it a part of your regular cleaning as it wont take more than a few times igroring it and it will become permanent. I call mine a clean out screw and it gets cleaned out after shooting 1 shot or 20. Be surprised how much easier it is to remove this lil screw and put 4f in a straight shot down to your dryball VS the nipple/angle angle route!

Carry on........
you are correct in the use of the bolster / clean out screw my guess is that you have gotten a chunk of charcoal in the fire channel when it happens (rarely) the only way i've gotten it back to functioning properly is to remove the screw and use a small brush or a properly sized drill bit turned in my fingers to get it out. Deer Creek sells a new clean out screw with brush the screw uses your nipple wrench to install / remove

Same nipples I use, never had a problem.

Have to agree with all the above. I've burned up many pounds of 3f T7 in my 54's. Went to musket nipples. No problems except dreaded crud ring in the powder channel. Never dry patch!!

I have a CVA Hawken 50cal barrel on this gun that used to have a few failures to ignite with 50g of 777 3f. I changed the stock nipple to a Hot Shot CVA nipple for #11 caps from Track of The Wolf and have had no more problems over the past few years. I do fire a cap every so often with no charge to make sure nothing is obstructing the flame. This nipple has two vents drilled near the top as seen in this picture and has a larger inside passage for the flame. My cleanout screw froze in place, so I just filed it smooth instead of using an easy out extractor.
yes if you cant spark 777 with a cap something is wrong with the rifle. maybe the nipple, oil in the channel and breech, channel plugged up

Back