• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Triple 7 / Pyrodex Have tried it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started this to not hijack another thread so be patient ..thanks
I have a son in law who absolutely enjoys cleaning guns as much if not more than he likes shooting them?:doh:

I on the other hand I would rather shoot them and cleaning them is right in there with moving furniture and shopping!

So we balance out pretty well ...anyway I'll not breach the holy black discussion as I respect a man's choice of powder be it black or black substitute (for the record I shoot black,209,Pyrodex and Triple 7) but have gravitated to Triple 7

However for those who have tried Pyrodex and do not like it for reasons of fouling, corrosive nature or whatever ..I seldom hear shooters moving from Pyrodex to Triple 7 ..almost always it is a move from black to Pyrodex and stay with Pyrodex or back to black

Having been friends with Bruce, Bob and JB Hodgdon for half a century I had some of the very first Pyrodex and have used it exclusively from it's inception in lieu of black

When Triple 7 came out I moved to it at once (rifles) as the boys told me it cleans up like a regular nitro cellulose powder ..or at least close to it ..Hodgdon still says water and soap clean up ..but I have proven to myself that is likely following with what shooters of black powder are accustomed to and not necessarily the only way to maintain a firearm using Triple 7

I use lead remover bore solvent and Hoppeys #9 to clean my long gun percussion rifles ever since Tripple 7 hit the market with 100% success ...and as I have ventured into revolvers in of late ... the same clean up regimen is also been100% successful

I agree that cost wise ..Pyrodex is a couple of buck higher than the cheapest black powder ..and Triple 7 is about eight bucks more than Pyrodex ..but that is how it once was .....

With Goex gone ..free market pressures lifted possibly.. on foreign BP importers ..I suspect the $$ will come closer together on black/Pyrodex and Triple 7

Just be aware of Triple 7 and it's value of sold by the pound, dispensed by volume(as is Pryodex) BUT ( if my math and memory is correct and you dispense by volume a 16 ounce can of Triple T energy wise is the equal to an 18.5 ounce can of black)So if you are shooting a 20 grain pistol load ..you will have 55 more shots fired than a can of black

Plus eazzzy clean up as well as clean up (with in reason) of when it is convenient and not because less than instant clean up is sometimes catastrophic

Just say times are changing and know your options folks

Bear

I bought a bottle of Pyrodex Select a while back for my inline pistol. I decided to give it a try in one of my sidehammer percussion rifles. That powder works very well. Pretty clean burning, imo.
I would definitely use it if I couldn't get black powder.

Triple Seven is "Da Bomb" in percussion long guns and revolvers. Does exactly as advertised. More velocity than black or Pyrodex, and easy clean up. Many have been misled into to errors concerning its use. The first is the need to reduce loads by 15%. You can do that if you want Goex performance (and nothing wrong with that), but triple 7 is completely safe with equal volumes. Just better performing, fps wise. The second is that is doesn't work well compressed. That got its start from instructions not to compress it for METALLIC shell reloading, no mention or need not to compress in muzzleloaders, or especially in cap in ball revolvers. I called the manufacturer many years ago to verify these facts. Triple 7 is hot, 23 grains (volume) gives 1200fps in my .36 1851 Navies, and 35 grains easily gets 1100fps in the 8" .44's. I don't usually load that hot, preferring standard velocity and recoil for target shooting, but nice to be able to safely achieve those levels of performance. Makes the .44 revolvers a fine short range deer gun.

Never used T7 but have used Pyrodex off and on over the decades for percussion guns. I prefer real black because I get it in bulk so it's cheaper, I like the 'aroma' and I find it a bit more consistent than Pyrodex. (With my marksmanship, I'll take any help I can get.) I clean with water like regular black powder. No problems and no rust.

PS: I don't mind cleaning guns, especially my BP guns. There is a certain satisfaction in maintaining them in good working order for years.

Jeff

I have a few lbs of 777. I tried it once and had delayed ignition so I shelved it. I shoot Old Eyensford in my revolvers and red label Goex in ml rifles and bp cartridges but maybe I'll try the 777 again with my rws 1075+ caps as they're super hot caps and should ignite 777 very well. I enjoy full power loads and I know T7 is stout. T7 behaves much like smokeless and they sound similar once ignited... More of a sharp crack then a low Boom

I love the T7 for the matches and won 25 yards and 50 yrds and 100 with it with a short 26 bbl renegade in 58 that i had made from a 54. 60 grains with a 570 ball and i think 010 pillow ticking patches.Got to have a really dry bbl after swabbing it out or problems with hang fires. I does build up crud so it might be from the lube bore butter ,,i dont think you really need alot of lube on the patches and heard you can use them dry with t7.IT saves on time at the range and i cant really see the difference sometimes whether its me shooting a bad day or the powder.

yearstady I went and shot my HARPERS FERRY FLINT LOCK & MY BROWN BESS flint lock with T-7, -TRIPPLE 7. 10 shots each and they both went off with out a HICCUP!! not a miss fire once! I primed with 4FG, BP. I wanted to try and prime with T-7, but forgot to try it as I was having so much fun, seeing theat it was working for me. so this takes off the pressure with BP. be comming extinct! I know that the 2 are made by the same Co. but there is a lot more T-7 on gun shop shelves to be had. has any one else tried it in there flint locks? just courious?

BTW, they both cleaned up with warm SOAPY / DAWN DISH DETEREGENT, and H2O, and 4 patches each. then I lubed the bores' know that a lot of you hate hot or warm water & DAWN. but that is what I used and it worked for me. if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Never tried Triple 7 but have some pyrodex.
Black is for ml. Period
Except when I have to deal with facts on the ground. I’ve got some and can shoot it in my real guns( flint locks)
I clean it by the same rules I clean black, ie: don’t have an emergency till after my guns are clean, cause I’m tied up right now.
Don’t ever put off cleaning and the devils ml powder won’t do you no harm

Jlatz, thanks' for the reply. I have always use it, T-7, in all of my cap guns. but remember to reduce the load by 10 %. as it is 10 % more powerfully than real BP. I was making a statement that it will work in a flint lock weapon with out any problem of going off? I shot 30 grs of T-7, FFFG, in my HARPERS FERRY & 70 GRS of T-7 FFFG, in my BROWN BESS. it gave a nice crack in both weapons.

I've gotten back into muzzleloading again. This time I started using Triple 7. I had vertical stringing of my hits and frequent fliers. I was able to find some BP and my problems went away. After running out of bp, I went back to 777, and experimented with using thicker patches. I just shot the best I have with any powder the last range trip using 777. I also switched to using a lighter ramrod which seats the ball but doesn't hammer the load as much. So, I have a new system that works but really don't know why.

I really try to avoid the substitutes at all costs.

I use Pyrodex in stuff like my brass frame revolvers and , forgive me, guns I really don't care about like my beat up Pedersoli 1863 Springfield that I put a shotgun primer adapter nipple on and shoot with .570 patched balls and 777 or Pyrodex.

I have a Great Plains Hunter .50 I'd probably not care about using Pyrodex in.

But for me most of the fun is shooting the real Holy Black. I bought bunches of 1F when it was available so I'll do a lot of blasting with my .69 smoothbores.

yearstady I went and shot my HARPERS FERRY FLINT LOCK & MY BROWN BESS flint lock with T-7, -TRIPPLE 7. 10 shots each and they both went off with out a HICCUP!! not a miss fire once! I primed with 4FG, BP. I wanted to try and prime with T-7, but forgot to try it as I was having so much fun, seeing theat it was working for me. so this takes off the pressure with BP. be comming extinct! I know that the 2 are made by the same Co. but there is a lot more T-7 on gun shop shelves to be had. has any one else tried it in there flint locks? just courious?
I tried that before I acquired some 4f BP and the 777 did not do well in the pan for me. When it did go off it was like a fuse , not good.

T7 is the only sub I'd consider and even then, I wouldn't put it in the pan of a flintlock. If you have an established accurate load, cut the T7 by 20% and start working back up. T7 is a bit hotter than real black.

Back